water causing foul after taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtexas

Reaction score
I have read a ton of threads on this and everybody says something different. I brewed a pale ale extract kit and it left my beer with a pretty bad after taste. It taste pretty good aside from the finish. Most threads agree it is the water that could cause this. I use tap water but didnt realize Chloramine wouldn't boil out of the water and that is what I understand is probably causing this taste. My question before I ramble on anymore is, what water should I use? If I use RO or distilled water what salts are people talking about adding to get the proper mineral profile? It is about a dollar a gallon here I dont mind spending the extra coin just wanted to make sure im doing it right.

It could be the water but it could also be fermentation temps what temp was it fermented at? I usually do ales at the lower end around 62 to 64 degrees

With extract, I'd be comfortable using just about anything that tastes good, as long as it doesn't contain chlorine or chloramine, and hasn't been through a water softener. My first choice would be RO or distilled with no adjustments other than perhaps yeast nutrient. Malt extract has the water removed, but what's left behind is obviously fermentable sugars (that's the point), but the minerals are there as well.

In short, with extract, I see no need to do anything crazy with the water.

The easiest way to get rid of Chlorine/Chloramine is using Campden Tablets (Potassium Metabisulfate). 1 tablet is enough to clean up 20 gallons. So, if you are doing extract you only need 1/4 tablet, I do all grain and usually start with around 7-10g of total water and treat with a half tablet. Before you go adding salts to your water you need to understand your water chemistry. Do you know anything about your water? I also filter my water through a carbon block filter, which is supposed to eliminate chlorine, I still treat with campden tablet just in case.

If not you can send a sample to these guys -- get the cheaper test:
https://producers.wardlab.com/BrewersKitOrder.aspx

Its all about how much you want to put into it. I started using campden tablet, my beer got better. I went all-grain and really started to understand the brewing process and my beer got better. I bought a decent thermomter, my beer got better. I bought a water filter, my beer got better. I sent away for a water report and started adjusting my water, I just started doing this, but Im gonna guess my beer is gonna get better.

I checked the liquid temp during fermentation it was at 68 degrees. I understand a little about water chemistry but not anything really in depth. I want to take this hobby as far as I can and would love to have more in depth knowledge about it. I will send a sample to that lab. I guess I was also thinking of I go with RO or distilled I could create the perfect water profile for the beer. You know...when I figure out how.

For what it's worth, and I think I basically said it in a previous post, water is really not something that you need to pull your hair out over with extract.

Just buy bottled sping water from your local grocery store. I get it for about .89 cents and don't have to needs with anything. I've brewed nearly 150g all kinds if styles and they all turn out great with this water.

Yup. spring water has been giving a bit better flavor from malt & hops for me,compared to tap. the local tap water was fine in cooler weather,but not so much in hot weather. So I started geting spring water (Giant Eagle brand) for 79c a gallon,from Ohio. I then remembered two local spring water sources that are only 10c a gallon! 60c for enough water for a 5G batch inclding boil off allowance. It gives really good malt & hop flavors. But particularly so with spicy hops,like German & Czech. Really brought out the herbal,lemon grass notes of East Kent Golding.

I see those "water machines" all over the place in Texas. The ones I"ve seen are reverse osmosis water machines, and they are perfect for brewing water.

All beer can be made with RO water, whether extract or all grain, and it is a perfect base for all beers. You can add a teaspoon of calcium choride to this water if you really feel that you need to add something, but it's not necessary for extract brewing.

I would try a batch with 100% RO water and see if that fixes the problem.

Back