Pre-Smacked' wyeast smack pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HomeBrewerB

Reaction score
Bought a smack pack from my LHBS about a month ago it's been in my fridge amd when I pulled it out tonight to smack it, and it was already puffed up.
Wyeast 1056 American Chico ale it was made on mar 13. Thanks!

HomeBrewerB said:
Bought a smack pack from my LHBS about a month ago it's been in my fridge amd when I pulled it out tonight to smack it, and it was already puffed up.
Wyeast 1056 American Chico ale it was made on mar 13. Thanks!

Is there a question?

Demus said:
Is there a question?

Sorry man, the main question is it alright to pitch a pre smacked smack pack when it's potentially been smacked since I bought it from the store a while ago.
And to the question above I've. Never made a starer and don't have a flask or bung or anything, is there a simple way to make one?

This is an American pale ale and it calls for
1oz of galena @60
1oz of palisade at @15
1 oz of German Select @ 5
I have some extra magnum, perle
, and citra. A little over an oz of each.
You think I should add some extra hops for some more flavor? I love citrusy/piney pale ales, but I also wanted to piece together another 3 or 5 gallons with those extra hops. Thanks in advance!

I'd use dry yeast on this recipe to be on the safe side, say US-05. Starters are easy but you need to do some reading and plan out your process. Once you want to give it a go, that pre smacked pack should be fine.
As for your hops, I'd put that ounce of Citra in at the end...

Your Wyeast smack pack probably wasn't smacked at all. That center pouch that you are supposed to smack contains nutrients for the yeast but the yeast will still work without it. When you refrigerate yeast you don't stop them from working, you just slow them down. Your yeast kept working and swelled the pack. Pop the nutrient pack and then drop the yeast into the fermenter. It will be on its way shortly.

FYI I had an issue with ants crawling into a starter covered with foil. The foam stoppers work great and prevent anything from crawling in...

I had one that I though was "smacked" a couple batches ago on an extract kit from Midwest. I called them and they told me that sometimes the packages look as if they were previously smacked even if they aren't. I guess it happens in shipping. They told me to bring it up to room temp, smack it and see what happens. I did and that pack swelled quite a bit more and became rock hard with a good hiss when I cut it open. I even pitched it without a starter and it fermented fine. I did have some dry on hand just in case it wasn't doing anything in a couple days but all went fine and it was a pretty good batch.

My LHBS gives away old expired yeast, some of which is 'pre-smacked' never had an issue if I stepped it up a couple of times. Any vessel can really be used to make a starter, (if you're using a stir plate use something with a flat bottom) Right now I'm actually running a 3 liter starter in a gallon jug for instance. (I just boil some dme and yeast nutrient for 15 minutes in a pot, chill it down in an ice bath, and then dump it into my starter vessel)

Back