Intro - All Grain Brew Standing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mjpeisher

Reaction score
Figured I would post this. 5 4x4 posts, 7 2x4s, 1 sheet of plywood, 6 casters, 1 box of 3" deck screws, and a willing SWMBO, and you have yourself a brew stand.

IMAG0295.jpg

I like the stand. I made something similar.

My question is why pressure treated 4x4's. That is enough to hold up a deck with several people on it.

I used four 8 foot 2x4's, the cheapest available, for the tallest part of my stand and cull 2x4's (about 4 ft. and $.51ea) for the rest. The plywood I had and $5 clearance paint. Total = no more than $25.
IMG_5399-1.jpg

I have since turned it around so that the BK is near the sink for cooling and added some plumbing so that I can fill my HLT with filtered water directly.

kh54s10 said:
I like the stand. I made something similar.

My question is why pressure treated 4x4's. That is enough to hold up a deck with several people on it.

I used four 8 foot 2x4's, the cheapest available, for the tallest part of my stand and cull 2x4's (about 4 ft. and $.51ea) for the rest. The plywood I had and $5 clearance paint. Total = no more than $25.

I have since turned it around so that the BK is near the sink for cooling and added some plumbing so that I can fill my HLT with filtered water directly.

Two turkey fryers? You, sir, know how to make people jealous.

OP, your setup is also sweet. (And even if I had the space, SWMBO would never allow a system like that.)

Sweet! My "brewstand" is the kitchen stove and counter, when not otherwise in use. My fermenters are on an old end table in a basement only as tall as I am. My step-daughter calls it "The Pit of Despair".

Well, you see the metal stands in the background, everything on one of those needs to be transferred to my brew stand, so it needs to be holding up a lot of weight. Also, this stand will be supporting upgraded sizes (going to 10 gallon brews, so 15 gallon pots), so it is really overbuilt now, and once all the upgrading is complete, it will only be slightly overbuilt. I am going to be hanging all three copper heat exchangers and 4 carboys somewhere on this thing, so more room is better.

As to pressure treated, they were 20 cents more expensive than non pressure treated, and I was tired of traipsing all over Lowe's... Plus the non pressure treated ones weren't straight at all. And who knows, maybe I will need the extra support if I decide to dance around on the stand, or do other things... like make it into a combo Brew Stand & Trebuchet.

I think it still needs to be sanded and stained to give it a nicer finished look, but it was late last night, and I had to get SWMBO's jeep back into the garage so it wouldn't get rain in it... again.

So do you guys use a stool to get to the top??? Isn't that a pain lifting up to that point?

It might be an issue. I haven't brewed on it yet. The cooler plumbing is damaged, so I am also upgrading to 10 gallon coolers. I am also selling off some of the associated items related to it, so I haven't gotten a chance yet. Will let you know.

Back