Good mini fridge for a fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peter78

Reaction score
What are a good current mini fridges for fitting a 6.5 gal carboy? I know there are lots of threads about it, but a lot of the stuff is outdated, like the sanyo mini fridge that is out of production.

peter78 said:
What are a good current mini fridges for fitting a 6.5 gal carboy? I know there are lots of threads about it, but a lot of the stuff is outdated, like the sanyo mini fridge that is out of production.

Anybody?

I used a Sanyo 4910 (4.9cuft) for my kegerator build... after taking the plastic off the door, cutting all but the outside most inch off of it and putting that back on to hold the rubber seal on the door, a 6.5 gal carboy fits in it perfectly. I use it to cold crash, but since I mostly use it for the kegerator aspect, I don't ferment in it.

daveooph131 said:
I've got a wine mini fridge I use. No modifications requires. Got it at him depot for like 150.

What's the brand and the model? How low does the temperature goes? Thanks for the info.

seigex said:
I used a Sanyo 4910 (4.9cuft) for my kegerator build... after taking the plastic off the door, cutting all but the outside most inch off of it and putting that back on to hold the rubber seal on the door, a 6.5 gal carboy fits in it perfectly. I use it to cold crash, but since I mostly use it for the kegerator aspect, I don't ferment in it.

I would love to find one of those sanyos. They're out of production.

i just purchased a wine fridge off of craiglist pretty cheap. I need to get a temp controller for it, as it only gets up to 58 degrees or so, but it easily fits a bucket. I could also fit two cornys in it.

peter78 said:
What's the brand and the model? How low does the temperature goes? Thanks for the info.

Ill have to check the brand when I get home.

Temp goes to about 52 ish. Not cold enough to lager but works great for ales.

I have a 2.7 cu.ft. Black and Decker. $94 at Walmart. I did not get it with the intention of putting anything inside. I made a chamber with 2x4's plywood and 2 inch foamboard. There are 2 doors that swing out on the front and the top raises so I can have full access. It will hold 3 fermenters at a time. It is temperature controlled with a Johnson Controls A419 controller. The fridge is installed in one end.

I have a 2.7 cu.ft. Black and Decker. $94 at Walmart. I did not get it with the intention of putting anything inside. I made a chamber with 2x4's plywood and 2 inch foamboard. There are 2 doors that swing out on the front and the top raises so I can have full access. It will hold 3 fermenters at a time. It is temperature controlled with a Johnson Controls A419 controller. The fridge is installed in one end.

What can you fit inside?

Can you share photos of your build?

Thanks.

I built a fridge from one of the threads here with a Styrofoam cooler, fans and a bunch of ice... but a fridge would be much nicer. Yea, any suggestions for a good brand would be great!

why isnt this cold enough for lager fermentation?

You already know the answer, I suspect ;).

While it's on the cusp of "cold enough" for fermenting a lager (50F is a good number), it's certainly not cold enough for the actual lagering of the beer which is at much cooler temperatures (~40F) - that's if you buy into all that cold lagering mumbo jumbo :D

Now, if the fridge can barely reach 52F with nothing inside, then I suspect the coldest it could reach with an actively fermenting beer would be ~54F at which point you're starting to touch on "too warm" territory for some beer styles, IMHO.

What can you fit inside?

Can you share photos of your build?

Thanks.

Sure. Three fermenters at a time. I temperature control by holding the temperature probe to the outside of the newest brew under a folded washcloth.

IMG_0220_zpsf450b6a8.jpg

Back