Stepping up from bottle harvested yeast: Confused

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scuba

Reaction score
I have a question that I am unclear on the answer to regarding stepping up a harvest from a bottle to make a 1.5 L starter that will contain 229B cells. After looking at previous posts on harvesting I am still unclear so I humbly seek the counsel of the group.

Should I proceed like this?

1. 100ml water/10g DME and dredges from two bottles of bells two hearted.
2. decant: new 200ml water/20g DME
3. decant: new 400ml water/40g DME
4. decant: new 800ml water/40g DME
5. decant: new 1500ml water/150g DME

Or, is this the way to do it?

1. 100g water/10g DME and dredges from three bottles of two hearted.
2. Do NOT decant: add 200g water/20g DME (I now have 300ml of wort)
3. Do NOT decant: add 400g water/40g DME (I now have 700ml of wort)
4. Do NOT decant: add 800g water/40g DME (I now have 1500ml of wort)

Or, do I have it completely wrong? Thanks in advance for any help.

First, I wouldn't start with 1.040 wort. I would start lower for the first couple steps. Second, I would use something other than Two Hearted if you can. Pale Ale, Amber, etc. all use the same yeast and will have significantly less-stressed yeast. Third, I don't think you'll need that many steps.

Mine went something like 25-50mL @1.020> 500 mL @ 1.030> 1.6L @ 1.040. I chilled and decanted for each step, although it can work the other way too.

I've always had success using Bell's Pale ale, haven't tried culturing out of Two Hearted, but I'm sure you would get some activity, albeit the yeast will be more stressed like pabloj said. Oberon is also a good candidate for culturing, the yeast cake on the bottom of the bottles I got last week are huge.

When I culture, I usually start out with ~50-75mL of 1.040 wort, but since it gets diluted by the volume of the dregs I end up with maybe ~125-150mL of ~1.020-10.25ish wort. From there I step up to 300mL > 600mL > 1000mL, all 1.040, decanting between each step. Since I usually do this way in advance to brewing, I end up having to restart the yeast in another 1L starter the day before it's needed, so that probably helps with the cell count as well.

That's just what works for me, as long as you do at least 3 steps of reasonable sizes I'm sure you'll be fine.

Bringing back this old thread because it looks like it will be helpful for my first attempt at harvesting.

How long do you guys leave each step on the stir plate? And do I need to oxygenate the wort if I use a stir plate?

+1 to using Oberon for this. There's usually tons of dregs at the bottom too. Amber, Porter, Third Coast Beer (not the old ale) Pale Ale, Smitten, woudl all work well.

ok....I have to ask...why dont you just use the yeast from all six?..I also was pondering harvesting from bottles, and just stumbled across this thread...Tom

also....where can I find a chart that says how much dme to water...for a approx gravity starter?...I just cant see checking with my hydrometer and thief for this small amount...thankx....Tom

failed at my first attempt at yeast wrangling

used dregs from 2 bottles of Bell's MW Pale, but didn't notice package date on it was November of last year. think that might have been a little too old.

I mixed up 3 tablespoons of DME into 1 pint of water. Beersmith calculated that as 1.044.

Dammit people!! Your drowning out my question and the reason I brought back this thread!

Haha I'll try again.

How long do you guys leave each step on the stir plate? And do I need to oxygenate the wort if I use a stir plate? First time using one.

sorry j09..dident mean to stomp on yer post...if it were me, I think I would leave each step on the stir plate 24 hrs...then 24 hrs in the fridge, decant...repeat...and yes, I airate (just a good shake) when I make a starter..hope this helps, mind you I am just a rookie...

How long do you guys leave each step on the stir plate? And do I need to oxygenate the wort if I use a stir plate? First time using one.

It can't hurt to oxygenate. As far as how long on the stir plate, I actually like NOT using the stir plate for the first step. This step is the one that can take the longest, depending on the health of the yeast in the bottles. If you're not stirring, you can see a little krausen rise and fall (most of the time). Then you know it's time to step up. If you're stirring the whole time, you'll never see it. Once you get that first step, then you know you have happy yeast. Throw it on the stir plate for 24 like the previous poster said. Cold crash overnight, decant, step up, repeat...

Back