Is 16 hours enough for a lager starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thumbs71

Reaction score
Last night I cooked up a 2L starter for a 1.067 Midwest Oktoberfest lager. The yeast is Wyeast Oktoberfest Lager 2633 manufactured on 4/5/2013. It's been about 12 hours and it's chugging along real nice on a stir plate.

I'd like to brew today in a few hours, but will that be enough time? Can I get away with just pitching it and letting it be?

ForumRunner_20130608_081631.jpg

I typically get my starter going at 7AM for a 5PM pitch time. So, I think you're fine. However, I don't brew lagers, so I could be missing something.

-Mike

Often starters for lagers should be decanted before pitching. The yeast book advises not to pitch a whole starter where the volume is greater than 5% of the batch, because of the off flavors in the starter. At 2 liters you're at about 10%. I would never pitch an undecanted 2 liter starter into a light lager, however, you're talking about a darker and pretty hefty gravity o-fest. You're probably fine pitching the whole thing. The proponents of pitching the whole starter would point out that a healthy fermentation should clean up those off flavors.

A 2L starter seems awfully small for a lager with an OG like yours.

That would be very true if the thread starter weren't using a stir plate. With a plate, Mr. Malty puts his starter size at 2.12L.

Problem is that MM also says to use 4 vials to make that starter. You mostly can get around that by making a 1L starter, crash/decant it and then step it up to 2L.

Well, it came out at 1.067 and I pitched the entire started. It was rolling real nice 4 hours later. 8 hours later I had to switch my blowoff container from a 1qt mason jar to a growler. I woke up to this...

ForumRunner_20130609_102700.jpg

A 2L starter for that beer, even from a stir plate, is about 1/2 the recommeded pitch rate.

Likely it's fermenting as well as it is because it looks like the fermenation temp might be warmer than the typical range for lager.

I used a 7L starter for my last lager of around that same OG, using the intermittent shaking method.

So with the exothermic reactions it could well be into the mid 60s for beer temp.

Which, unfortunately, is about 8-10*F higher than the range for that lager yeast.

Your basement temp is perfect for fermenting ales. Lagers, not so much.

Well that sucks. I took liquid temp measurements by having a glass of water in sit over night then checking the temp everyday. It's already going so I guess I'll just wait and seen how it turns out. What's the worse thing that could happen?

Thumbs71 said:
Well that sucks. I took liquid temp measurements by having a glass of water in sit over night then checking the temp everyday. It's already going so I guess I'll just wait and seen how it turns out. What's the worse thing that could happen?

Well, you pitched a starter that was roughly half what you needed, you pitched a starter 10% of the beer size, and you're fermenting far above proper temps. So the worst that could happen is a dumper, the best that could happen is mediocrity.

Well, you pitched a starter that was roughly half what you needed, you pitched a starter 10% of the beer size, and you're fermenting far above proper temps. So the worst that could happen is a dumper, the best that could happen is mediocrity.

While this sounds dire, I'm afraid it's all too possible.

I've pitched entire 2L starters in light lagers, Helles and Pilsner, and never noticed any off flavors. But... maybe I will discontinue that practice after reading some of the comments here.

I'll offer a more optimistic possibility. Under pitching and high temps would both lead to higher fruity esters. In a high gravity o-fest, that might not be too bad.

None of these are ideal practices, but I think you'll probably still end up with a decent beer. It might take more time to clear off flavors. You just won't have an optimal perfect to style example.

That's a perfect temperature.....................at which to ferment an ale.:D

In all likelihood, it won't be a dumper, but it may taste more like a malty amber ale than an octoberfest lager. Hope it turns out well. I've got no problem with malty ambers.

That should also be a good temp for a steam beer, if you like lagers but don't have a fridge for them. It might be as close as you're going to get right now.

Latest posts

Back