Can someone look at this recipe I have created and give me his/her opinion? :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/2nd-biab-nugget

I am brewing tomorrow for the second time therefore I have just created this BIAB recipe with loads of different hopping times and dry-hopping. I am wondering what you guys think? I am mainly interested in what you think of the hops and hop-timing. I am trying to create a nice balanced or slightly hoppy beer with loads of flavours and aroma.

I am planning to use nugget for bittering and brewers for aroma/flavour and fuggles for dry-hopping after 7 days. I'd keep it in the primary fermenter for 3 weeks and then bottle it. I keep the alcohol relatively low...because more or less an extra 1% will be added to this by the bottle-conditioning.

If you are looking for loads of flavor and aroma I would move all the brewer's gold to the 5 minute to flame out additions.

If you are looking for loads of flavor and aroma I would move all the brewer's gold to the 5 minute to flame out additions.

Yes...I'd rather go for flavours and aroma. I am not too interested in the bitterness. 31 IBU from the nugget hop is more than enough. Let me adjust it......5 min to flame out on the brewers then. Thanks for the info.

P.S. just modified it. I'll put hops in the wort 4 times and dry-hopping after a week. That should do. :)
hop times: 60-40-5-1....I am wondering if I should put something in it at 20 too. Maybe some nuggets?

To style you are low on ABV and quite low on color. You might want to add a little specialty grain for color and flavor.

For me that is too complicated a hop schedule.

I would combine the additions and adjust the times to keep the bitterness within range. A simplified explanation is that 60 minutes adds almost all to bittering under 30 minutes adds some to bitterness and more to flavor and some to aroma and 10 minutes and less mostly to aroma and some to flavor.

To style you are low on ABV and quite low on color. You might want to add a little specialty grain for color and flavor.

For me that is too complicated a hop schedule.

I would combine the additions and adjust the times to keep the bitterness within range. A simplified explanation is that 60 minutes adds almost all to bittering under 30 minutes adds some to bitterness and more to flavor and some to aroma and 10 minutes and less mostly to aroma and some to flavor.

I am not trying to comply with the rules of any styles on that website. I am just experimenting. I am totally new to brewing. :) thanks for the info.

i think your recipe looks fine. have fun brewing it!

no you won't. you're over-estimating the impact of your priming sugar. you'll be adding 0.1 or 0.2% alcohol.

ok, I thought it was gonna be 1%..I mean the average alcohol that the priming sugar added. Thanks for the info.

I just remembered.. I made a SMaSH recipe using only Maris Otter and Nugget hops. It was a very pale ale and had a very different flavor than any other beer I have ever tried. It was quite good.

I named it "Otter's Nuggets" Anatomical innuendo intended.

I just remembered.. I made a SMaSH recipe using only Maris Otter and Nugget hops. It was a very pale ale and had a very different flavor than any other beer I have ever tried. It was quite good.

I named it "Otter's Nuggets" Anatomical innuendo intended.

I wanna hop it to death... :) I am not using a lot of them...but I want different hops and dry-hopping for aroma/flavour...that is my most important aim in this brewing...a nice beer with tons of aroma and flavour without the use of an excessive amount of hops.

Back