starting a hop farm 2 acres to start..then double every year till i hit 32 acres

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
...didn't think it would be as much work as I thought and wow...I was in for a wake up call... had soo many issues ..

I wish I had a nickle for every time I've heard that! Don't worry, it get's better if you have been doing proper weed management, cover cropping, etc. I'm not saying the yard takes care of itself but once its firmly established things get a little easier. Of course with your expansion plans, you are starting over again and again and again...good luck.

.. and would like to use the CSB(community supported brewery) model to start to get the local community interested...any ideas on how to set it up? Been researching the different ways others have done it..

There is a "CSA" brewery that started here in Madison, WI. You may want to talk to him about his start-up process. The place is called House of Brews:http://www.houseofbrewsmadison.com/

NY is pretty friendly to hop growers and start up breweries so you may have it easier than some in other places...like MA...but I would still recommend you hire a lawyer to help you through the paperwork process. I know several people that started up nano's that were (at least temporarily) shut down because they didn't have approval of some government agency.

Also with the CSA, I believe they still consider it "selling" the beer even though its more of a dividend for your investors. So make sure you have everything in place. Besides, those in your CSA should end up picking up their share and deciding they need to buy more because its so good, right?

what are the chances of getting Citra and Amarillo hop rhizomes planted?

Haa if you were really daring...find the farm growing them hops..go out inj the middle of the night for a late night scavenger hunt . or brib the mexicans working on the farms for rizomes.....

I looked up that one place for info on there csb... I'm half way to putting together a 1 barrel allgrain setup...I think when that is ready ill be ready to provide samples and be able todo more volume ...

rudds67 said:
Hey beer family..sorry for the lack of update..this year was a wild year...didn't think it would be as much work as I thought and wow...I was in for a wake up call... had soo many issues ...
Did you end up harvesting this year, and if so how was your yield & did you do it by hand? My husband & I own 20 acres in Victor, ID and are seriously considering dropping into organic hops up to 17 acres. We don't have the funds for a Wolf picker at this point so were thinking of starting with just a few acres, sourcing out pelletizing, etc., but after some research we're wondering if that's too much to hand pick? (we'd hire staff too but ...?). Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!

Did you end up harvesting this year, and if so how was your yield & did you do it by hand? My husband & I own 20 acres in Victor, ID and are seriously considering dropping into organic hops up to 17 acres. We don't have the funds for a Wolf picker at this point so were thinking of starting with just a few acres, sourcing out pelletizing, etc., but after some research we're wondering if that's too much to hand pick? (we'd hire staff too but ...?). Thanks so much for sharing your experiences!

AbShenck I live in Idaho Falls and would be interested in helping out a little bit if you decide to go ahead with it

...My husband & I own 20 acres in Victor, ID and are seriously considering dropping into organic hops up to 17 acres. ...

Sweet! Where in Victor? My family spends a lot of time out there.

Yes, that's WAY too much to handpick.

For handpicking, figure 30 to 60 minutes per bine at 2nd year or after. This assumes you are being somewhat selective and only picking the top 1/3 to 1/2, which is where the bulk of your mature cones will be. If you really want to get the whole bine, double that time but you'll only bring in 10% to 25% more.

Assuming you have an acre of all one variety, you have about 1 week to get them in while maintaining them in near-peak condition. Usually an acre has 1000 to 1200 bines and you are talking at least 750 labor hours to pick it all by hand. A crew of 10 people could pick that in a 7 day week by working 12 hour days...add in clean up time, bringing the bines in from the field, disposing of old bines, etc.

There is a learning curve so people will get faster after a day or two, but they will also experience hop haze and slow down considerably as they get sleepy.

We also found that the typical migrant farm worker is no better than a homebrew club member. Bailing hay and combining corn is no preparation for picking hops. The best harvesters we had were people with experience picking organic grapes. Similar size, shape and picking style.

Take that times 17 acres, and you are managing a crew of hundred or more. That's why the Wisconsin hop farmers of the late 1800's would advertise as far as Galveston, TX for hop pickers. Around 30,000 would show up.

If you are looking to rent/buy a Wolf, talk to Glen Fuller. He's on this forum as "Hopfarmer". I can get you contact information if you like. He has lots of contacts and may have a unit sitting around. I will warn you that used Wolf harvestors are starting to become scarce.

We built a picker/sorter combo that we sell, too. But its really only sized to take care of 1 to 3 acres. It could maybe stretch to 5 but if you were looking at 17 acres, even with the decreased production of organic, I would look into a Wolf. Probably even a new one would be your best bet. That's what Hop Head Farms in MI is doing for their 20 acre farm.

If its your first time..start with a 1/4 acre for fun..see how you like it..grow a few different types...but its a ton of work...I think I will be moving into the growing/ brokering for the organic Malting barley...there's more money in malting barley then hops.. I will keep my 2 acres and maybe go bigger down the road but growing hops is very manual labor intensive.. growing the barley for the brewerys isn't.. I have already contracted out 100 acres for 2 row and 6 row with an addition 300. Acres when I find the buyers. and I did all this with a few phone calls and I will be growing 15 to 30 acres on the farm here next to the hops.. I'm building a custom malting floor here as well but have a few malting houses that I may be using.

With NY's farm brewery law barley is going to make you a lot of money there will
Be a huge demand for NY grown barley.

Wow you guys thank you ALL so much for this incredible & helpful insight & so quickly!!! I think this is more support & info than I've found in many, many hours of research and number crunching. I will look at malted barley for sure & perhaps a smaller hop yard. I'll keep you posted and follow up soon! Varmintman in IF, I'll stay in touch thank you for your offer., Dan thank you & I may want to know more about your Wolf contacts, I'll contact you. Tyler, we're on 20 acres near Fox Creek between Victor & Driggs, tons of water rights, cool spot.

If its your first time..start with a 1/4 acre for fun..

...& perhaps a smaller hop yard.

In our classes we break down the financials for starting at an acre. Same with our growers, we require they start with an acre but never let them start with more than 2.

It is a HUGE investment in time and money. True, some of the costs scale up with size (# of rhizomes, amount of compost, amount of fertilizer) but others don't. For example, 1/4 acre will have more than 1/4 the number of poles than a single acre. When you rent equipment to install the poles, the rental costs will be the same. Digging a well will cost pretty much the same for a 1/4 acre vs. a full acre. The time to weed 1/4 acre is only a little less than 1 acre because you get in a groove.

But if you go above 2 acres...well, we've had a grower or two get so far in over their heads that they just surrendered and gave up. You don't want to get in the situation where you hate yourself for undertaking such an exciting endeavor.

Contact me at anytime. Just PM me on this forum and I can send you an e-mail address. Or just google...

GVH_Dan said:
In our classes we break down the financials for starting at an acre. Same with our growers, we require they start with an acre but never let them start with more than 2.

It is a HUGE investment in time and money. True, some of the costs scale up with size (# of rhizomes, amount of compost, amount of fertilizer) but others don't. For example, 1/4 acre will have more than 1/4 the number of poles than a single acre. When you rent equipment to install the poles, the rental costs will be the same. Digging a well will cost pretty much the same for a 1/4 acre vs. a full acre. The time to weed 1/4 acre is only a little less than 1 acre because you get in a groove.

But if you go above 2 acres...well, we've had a grower or two get so far in over their heads that they just surrendered and gave up. You don't want to get in the situation where you hate yourself for undertaking such an exciting endeavor.

Contact me at anytime. Just PM me on this forum and I can send you an e-mail address. Or just google...

Dan thank you, we'll be in touch for sure!

Tyler, we're on 20 acres near Fox Creek between Victor & Driggs, tons of water rights, cool spot.

Awesome! One of my favorite areas in the country. I have fond memories fly fishing as a kid with hops on one side of the river and barley on another. Seems to be mostly barley now (at least where I've fished), so it'd be awesome to see hops again.

My grandparents lived over the pass in Wilson until last year, now my parents are looking at places in Victor.

Also, Snake River brewery has hops growing around their brewery, so they might have some insight into specific varieties for your location.

AbShenck

Sigh as much as I would love to help my wife reminded me of my fear of heights. Nope I will have to withdraw my offer but I will bring up some beer someday and hope that you will help me drink it while I admire your hops.

Ty I hope your folks buy fairly soon if they want to move out here. The millionares in Jackson are getting run out of town by the billionares and housing all around is going through the roof. Heck even down to Swan Valley things are going through the roof.

I know Grand Teton Brewing have a few beers that everything comes from around the valley. I love some of their beers and everytime I am there I stop.

Dang I hope we can get some hops going here and perhaps a small malster plant.

Ty I hope your folks buy fairly soon if they want to move out here. The millionares in Jackson are getting run out of town by the billionares and housing all around is going through the roof. Heck even down to Swan Valley things are going through the roof.

Yeah, I hear ya. We're in neither crowd. It's quite ridiculous. I miss the good old days when you could actually find parking in Jackson.

I know Grand Teton Brewing have a few beers that everything comes from around the valley. I love some of their beers and everytime I am there I stop.

Agreed - some delicious local beers. Their distributor actually ships to a few places here in Chicago, so I can get most of their releases. Not the same as fresh at the brewery, but still good.

AbShenck

Sigh as much as I would love to help my wife reminded me of my fear of heights. Nope I will have to withdraw my offer but I will bring up some beer someday and hope that you will help me drink it while I admire your hops.

Did you know that weeds grow down at ground level and require bucketloads of work to pull. Don't worry, there are plenty of tasks you can help them with that keep your feet planted firmly on the ground.

Any reason not to let the goats/sheep rummage through the hop field and eat all of the weeds/lower leaves of the plants? Seems like a backsaver.

While it seems a good idea, be careful. Sheep tend to graze very close to the ground. Early in the year when the shoots are young and tender, they may eat them along with the weeds. So at least give them a chance to sprout up a bit.

Goats eat everything...I mean everything. They will eat your irrigation tubing, chew on your trellis, eat the hops, eat the weeds. You get the idea.

Horse and cattle are large animals and could do real damage if they were to wander through the wrong spot.

I'm not saying its a bad idea, just not without its dangers.

What we do is come through and completely till a 4 foot wide strip. mix in some compost and then apply a cover crop of dutch white clover or similar. Something that won't steal nitrogen, won't grow to high as to compete for sunlight but will choke out the weeds. In between you can leave prairie grass, clover or whatever. You will have to weed for a couple of years but eventually, the clover will out compete. If you are using herbicides, there are some that you can use but not many.

+1 for clover cover. I'm just a small home grower, but it works like champ. Use it in my veggie garden too. And in my lawn. Love the stuff.

thanks for all your chimes in but id like to keep my thread related to my current projects, hops , brewing, growing barley and ideas relating.. seams like there are people that are just advertising for there own personal grower classes or something... ... no hard feelings just trying to keep this thread information only regarding my current projects and comments to making it for easy browsing for going back in the future..

Any reason not to let the goats/sheep rummage through the hop field and eat all of the weeds/lower leaves of the plants? Seems like a backsaver.

No goats buts sheep yes.. I will be doing a research study on using sheep this year for weeds..In new Zealand this is Common practice.. however you will have to wait till the hops are already established ( anything on the bines from 4 feet down will also be eaten along with the grass between the rows ) so this cuts labor .... .. 5 to 6 sheep per acre is what i have been told.. time will tell... ill be doing some study's on different times of the grow season to release the sheep for grazing and numbers...

Hi Rudds, Dan's comment about his classes was in regards to my question, in his defense he wasn't trying to sell me on them it was relevant to the thread :). Back to your project, I've tried to find some resources on the organic malted barley trade but haven't had much luck, can you point me in a direction? What kind of return are you expecting per acre? And are you sourcing out the malting process this year till your drying floor is done or expecting to keep it in house? Thanks!

rudds67 said:
thanks for all your chimes in but id like to keep my thread related to my current projects, hops , brewing, growing barley and ideas relating.. seams like there are people that are just advertising for there own personal grower classes or something... ... no hard feelings just trying to keep this thread information only regarding my current projects and comments to making it for easy browsing for going back in the future..

No goats buts sheep yes.. I will be doing a research study on using sheep this year for weeds..In new Zealand this is Common practice.. however you will have to wait till the hops are already established ( anything on the bines from 4 feet down will also be eaten along with the grass between the rows ) so this cuts labor .... .. 5 to 6 sheep per acre is what i have been told.. time will tell... ill be doing some study's on different times of the grow season to release the sheep for grazing and numbers...

Any updates this yr. hows everything going. Pictures?!???!!!! Sheep r what we are pondering now also.

Nice thread. Rudds - should your travels ever take you out to Eastern Washington... I drink beer at the local brewery here in Prosser most weeks with a bunch of retired PhD's that traveled the world teaching people how to grow hops in every climate imaginable (Poland, Japan, etc.). As the saying goes - these guys have forgotten more about growing hops then most people will ever know. If you were ever out this way for a the price of a couple pitchers I have a feeling that they could answer any question thrown at them. Plus there are all the local hop growers and farms out here to look at. Oregon is OK but for my money this is the place to check out.

I keep thinking about growing hops on my few acres, heck the rhizomes would be free and the water is paid for... every spring I think about it.... and every fall a few farmers I know show up with garbage bags full of hops fresh from the kiln for me in trade for a few beers -though I have to be sure they get the varieties straight... so the incentive has just not been there. (To say nothing of the fields that don't get picked for lack of price/drying space/you name it - I keep thinking I should have a side job selling whole leaf hops to homebrewers but that would cut into my drinking time). Plus there are some cool varieties out here that get a shot - A buddy showed up the other day with a huge sack of experimental 14% Alpha pellets for me (that just made a nice 9% DIPA), when I asked him if he wanted some back he mentioned that he had already kept a 5 gallon bucket... Sometimes it feels like the wild west of hops out here.

Another thought for you is I bet one or two of these retired guys might be willing to consult via phone for some type of consideration. Plus there are always the professional field folks around here (a few of those guys are my neighbors). Happy to make the introductions if it helps.

Good luck on your venture!

Peter

Peter hey thanks for the information .what's the closest airport that you're near. I may have to shoot out there for a long weekend... I do need more rhizomes this year coming in April and may.what better then fly back home with them...do you know of any local places to get them for a good deal?.. Sharing some craft brew with knowledgeable people in the biggest hops growing region in the USA sounds like time well spent..I will pm you about it....thanks.. steve

I've really enjoyed reading this thread- I'm considering abandoning city life for a farm, and doing a little research, I haven't been able to find much info on hops growing in Virginia. With about 40 microbreweries and markets in DC and Baltimore, I wonder if this is because of mildew in a more Southern climate (I'm in northern VA, so the climate is more mid-Atlantic than deep South)

Also, are any of you seeing any impact on with your harvest from the changing weather patterns we've seen over the last couple years?

Any advice you could offer would be most appreciated!

I've really enjoyed reading this thread- I'm considering abandoning city life for a farm, and doing a little research, I haven't been able to find much info on hops growing in Virginia. With about 40 microbreweries and markets in DC and Baltimore, I wonder if this is because of mildew in a more Southern climate (I'm in northern VA, so the climate is more mid-Atlantic than deep South)

Also, are any of you seeing any impact on with your harvest from the changing weather patterns we've seen over the last couple years?

Hops will grow just about anywhere.. judt b/c they dont grow where you liv now.. doesn't mean then won't there in the future.. people have got away from growing just about everything unless for Hobby gardens. pick up some rhizomes or plants throw them in the yard and give it a whirl...
Attached are the first spring sprouts.. columbus .. poles go in the ground this week...

Sending you a PM. We are just south of Syracuse and have started a small hop farm (in process right now). Would love to banter back and forth, and possibly visit your farm!

Few pics.. hops and chickens! Summer begins ..

ForumRunner_20130502_163532.jpg

ForumRunner_20130502_163633.jpg

ForumRunner_20130502_163731.jpg

I visit Blue Mountain brewery in Afton Virginia all the time and they grow hops in front of the brew pub. I am positive there are others in that area growing hops as well. I live in MD and have a nice little hop bed with about 10 plants that should give me a lot of cones this year, as well as relaxing times watching them mature. Good luck!

rudds67 said:
Hops will grow just about anywhere.. judt b/c they dont grow where you liv now.. doesn't mean then won't there in the future.. people have got away from growing just about everything unless for Hobby gardens. pick up some rhizomes or plants throw them in the yard and give it a whirl...
Attached are the first spring sprouts.. columbus .. poles go in the ground this week...

Thanks- Looking forward to giving it a shot!

Back