Degassing my wine - Newbie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petercltnc

Reaction score
Hey, All!

I've just bought a winemaking kit (Selection Series Cabernet Savignon), and I have a question regarding de-gassing. I've just completed the step 2 of my instructions (see below), and there's no mention of de-gassing the carboy. However, I went on Northern Brewer's website and they suggest de-gassing the carboy at this step. Which should I follow?

After 5-7 days draw a sample of the juice and use your hydrometer and test jar to check the specific gravity. It should be 1.010 or less. You must rack (transfer) the wine into a 23 liter (6 US gallon) carboy at this time.
NOTE: The lower the fermenting temperature, the longer it will take to reach this stage. If your gravity is not at or below this level, wait, testing the gravity each day, until it is.
Clean and sanitise siphon rod and hose, hydrometer and test jar, wine thief, 23 liter (6 US gallon) carboy, bung and airlock. Rinse well.

1. Place the primary fermenter up at least 1 metre (3 feet) onto a sturdy table.
2. Carefully siphon wine into a clean, sanitised 23 litre (6 US gallon) carboy. Leave the thickest sediment behind, but make sure you transfer most of the liquid. This will leave a space at the top of the carboy of approximately one liter (one US quart) in volume. Do not top up at this stage. This space is required for stirring and additions during stabilizing (Step 3).
3. Attach airlock and bung to carboy. Remember to fill airlock halfway with water.
4. Leave carboy in your fermentation area at the temperature of 22°-24°C (72°-75°F) for 10 days.
You may not see further fermentation activity in the carboy. This is not a cause for worry. In 10 days you can proceed to the next step.

I've always followed the directions with the kit and it's turned out great.

I believe they have you degas during step 3.

petercltnc said:
Hey, All!

I've just bought a winemaking kit (Selection Series Cabernet Savignon), and I have a question regarding de-gassing. I've just completed the step 2 of my instructions (see below), and there's no mention of de-gassing the carboy. However, I went on Northern Brewer's website and they suggest de-gassing the carboy at this step. Which should I follow?

Your wine is still fermenting. Degassing now is pointless.

Back