Alabama Homebrew Legislation 2013

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Awfully quite today. Anybody got any news?

From our local brew club board:

"Just talked with Mac and he said we should be First on the SOC for the Senate tomorrow. He said he told certain Senators that if they wanted their Bills to get on the House Calendar then they needed to put the Homebrew Bill on the Calendar. Told me not to name names, but it wasn't Orr that was holding us up. Holtzclaw and another Sen on the Rules committee had a disagreement (name starts with a B), but everything has been miraculously worked out now... Said it was nice being head of the rules! Closer than we've ever been. Also said he's ready to attend a legal homebrew meeting!!!! Sounded very, very positive. If for some reason we don't get the vote tomorrow he'll keep on trying..."

So there is a chance we'll get in this year. Here's to hoping!

"Just talked with Mac and he said we should be First on the SOC for the Senate tomorrow. He said he told certain Senators that if they wanted their Bills to get on the House Calendar then they needed to put the Homebrew Bill on the Calendar. Told me not to name names, but it wasn't Orr that was holding us up. Holtzclaw and another Sen on the Rules committee had a disagreement (name starts with a B), but everything has been miraculously worked out now... Said it was nice being head of the rules! Closer than we've ever been. Also said he's ready to attend a legal homebrew meeting!!!! Sounded very, very positive. If for some reason we don't get the vote tomorrow he'll keep on trying..."

Hell yes...!! :rockin:

Please tell me that this is real!

It's a rumor until it's real. Mac has hung in there with us even though this issue isn't exactly a political gold mine (anything but in fact). Let's hope the rumor is accurate but I'm not getting my hopes up. I plan on calling Senators again tonight and in the morning asking for a vote (and their support). If everyone else does that too, maybe it will actually happen.

Yes, what FTG posted seems to be true. We are being told that we will be #1 on the SOC tomorrow. You know how politics go though!

Also - they are finally telling the whole story that I alluded to previously "Will ABC be at your place next?"

"On Friday, Fairview Homebrew in Montgomery received a letter from ABC that instructed the owner to stop selling homebrewing supplies "until such time as their possession is legalized in this state." This small business has been in operation since opening a year and a half ago, and now it is in risk of being shut down! Please understand, ABC is just doing their jobs per the current law they must enforce. This is why HB9 must pass this year! Without it, jobs are being eliminated and tax-paying small businesses are being downsized or closed. Call your Alabama senator immediately, and urge them to pass HB9 this week, before it is too late!"

This is not a dig at the ABC. They support our bill. The gentleman that dropped the letter off is doing his job. No different that you doing something goofy because someone that works at corporate tells you to! Don't blame the guys on the front lines, TAKE IT TO THE SENATORS! They have the ability to STOP THIS INSANITY tomorrow.

EVERYONE should call first thing in the morning. Take 5 minutes and call all the Rules Committee members, call your Senator, call Sue the Rules Clerk, call your friends and tell them to do it.

Even if the rumor that we are first tomorrow is true, we CAN'T let the pressure off! They can always bring the bill up and then table it just to say they addressed it.

We are "THIS" close!

I wonder if Fairview Homebrew got the letter because the drew attention to themselves. It looks as if they were going to do a pretty visable brewing demo

http://www.timlennoxonline.blogspot.com/2013/05/the-alabama-makers-event-almost-got.html?m=1

May 5, 2013

The "Southern Makers" event almost got shut down!
An event in Downtown Montgomery on Saturday was supposed to include a beer brewing exhibit, but the Alabama Alcoholic beverage Control Board threatened to cancel the entire event if homemade beer was part of it.
A story in today's Montgomery Advertiser reports about the Southern Makers event under the train shed without any reference to the ABC incident.

We heard the story that the ABC Board had threatened a raid from EastSouth/Urban Farmer Edwin Marty.
Ironically, that threat came as legislation allowing craft beer in the State is under consideration in the 2013 Legislative Session.
The Makers booth was supposed to sponsored by Fairview Homebrew, a beer and wine brewing operation which somehow managed to stay open despite the lack of legislation allow it. But Marty says the ABC called Thursday of last week and said if would not be permitted.
Watch the Alabama Legislature in the next week or so as their last meeting days come and go. They'll either pass the homebrewing bill, or Alabama will remain the last state with a prohibition against it.
I'm sure you'll agree that all 49 other states are wrong and Alabama is right here. We dare defend our rights to be dragged kicking and screaming into the 1900's.

Yeah, other stores are likely okay. Fairview got their hand slapped because of the Maker's Event.

Weird huh. It's okay as long as you aren't toooo public.

Senate convenes at Noon.

WAFF reported on this morning's news that our bill (along with several others) were dead! Let's hope they aren't right!

Made my calls this morning and solicited as many friends as I could to make calls too.

Get on the phone people!

So for some absurd reason my work computer security will let me view the senate chamber video on the ALISON site, but will not allow me to listen to the audio on the legislature site. Has anyone ever watched the video? Will the audio kick in once they get started? I have a volume slider, but no noise right now.

EDIT: The sound just kicked in on the video. Yippee!!! This will either prove to be somewhat entertaining and rewarding or totally infuriating.

Oh man while this does not affect me I have to say I am watching and waiting with fingers crossed.

Good luck guys

Also try: mms://alisonsenav.legislature.state.al.us/SenAudio if the above two don't work.

I propose that, once this is all over, we flood Rep. McCutcheon's office with thank you letters. Hand written, if possible. That guy is awesome, and I wish I lived in his district.

mac_photo.jpg

Mac McCutcheon
District No. 25
Madison and Limestone Counties

Mail Address:
Post Office Box 370
Capshaw, Alabama 35742-0370

Phone Contact:
Delegation: 256-539-5441
Home: 256-655-3764
Legislative Office: 334-242-7705

Email Mac McCutcheon

Is this normal? Are these guys just trying to hold things up, or do they just like hearing themselves speak? I haven't heard either one actually make a point outside of the budget time concerns, which has already been addressed.

I hope so. This stalling is so annoying!

Actually, I understand that that can make it easier to put off (kill, this late in the game) our bill because of any perceived controversy that would make it take longer than 10 minutes. Scary.

-Rich

Back