Jaybird's Stainless False Bottoms

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jay I cant find reversed hinge false bottom on the website I need one for a 15in Sanke... What do I have to do to order one?

Jay

I'm a keggle brewer and this inquiry started with looking for an easy means of filtering out hop matter from my boil, so I started searching for the best hop spider I could find. I've seen this SS hop spider and was really impressed with the quality from the pictures as far as hop spiders go.

I came across your 15" reverse hinged SS false bottom and #3 Filter and was wondering about it's filtering capabilities.

My thought and concern: It appears your essentially using three layers of the same filtering material to accomplish the filtering. However, the holes still seem fairly large to me for filtering out pellet hops. From my research, SS hop spider mesh is typically on the order of 300-400 microns. Is your false bottom/filter #3 combo adequate for filtering how pellet hop gunk?

I'm excited about your product over the hop spiders because it would filter trub as well, thus 'straining two birds with one filter!' Can you please comment on your filter's ability to filter the pellet gunk as well as cold break?

THANKS!

I believe Jay has posted before that his filters/bottoms won't really work with pellet hops. If you're using whole hops in the boil, it should be fine. The item from Stainless is designed to work with both pellet and whole hops (from what I recall). The only real difference between a regular spider and the one from Stainless is the stainless basket/bag instead of using a nylon bag.

My 6" OD hop spider setup, all stainless except the nylon bag, run me maybe $30 total. That's with stainless legs, ring, nuts (and such) and the stainless worm clamp to hold the bag on.

BTW, I don't see the neurosis over hot break material getting into fermenting vessel. It doesn't do any harm for the brew. If anything, it's of benefit. I don't whirlpool or try to filter out the hot/cold break material in my batches. They still come out very clear in glass. It also doesn't block my plate chiller (a DD wide 40 plate chiller). I use the spider to keep the hop matter out of the chiller. Otherwise, I'd just dump that into fermenting vessel too. Also, there have been tests performed by other HBT members regarding break matter going into the fermenting vessel. It does zero harm and might even do some good for the batch. Basically, get over it already people.

Subbed, this is an interesting thread. I just got my hands on my 3rd and final keg (don't ask) and I'm about to get started on a stand and rig to replace my current system.

I use an IC. I am thinking of ordering jaybirds hop stopper. I do not care if stuff is in my fermenters, i am worried more so on clogging.

Jaybird, will you drill a one inch hole in it? 3/4 inch from the edge.

Pretty much got a 26 gallon update international triclad pot. I used sanitary fittings (welded from a local welder) and a diptube that is a one inch pipe. Pipe only has 3/4 of an inch from the edge.

Jay

I'm a keggle brewer and this inquiry started with looking for an easy means of filtering out hop matter from my boil, so I started searching for the best hop spider I could find. I've seen this SS hop spider and was really impressed with the quality from the pictures as far as hop spiders go.

I came across your 15" reverse hinged SS false bottom and #3 Filter and was wondering about it's filtering capabilities.

My thought and concern: It appears your essentially using three layers of the same filtering material to accomplish the filtering. However, the holes still seem fairly large to me for filtering out pellet hops. From my research, SS hop spider mesh is typically on the order of 300-400 microns. Is your false bottom/filter #3 combo adequate for filtering how pellet hop gunk?

I'm excited about your product over the hop spiders because it would filter trub as well, thus 'straining two birds with one filter!' Can you please comment on your filter's ability to filter the pellet gunk as well as cold break?

THANKS!
I am posting here from my phone and it is tuff but.I'll give it a go....yes the level 3 is designed for pellet hops and the trub you get during the boil...yes the holes are all the same
Here is how it works. We know the 15" alone will stop about 80% or more of the pellet hops.and if layered like we do we use hops and trub to create a filter, kind of like you do in the MLT. The way you use it is, at the end of the boil you have to clear out under the level 3 by doing a.quick recirculation to get the hops out of the filter that got in there during the boil. Now as far as the filtration itself I have used the system with well over 16oz of hops in a 10 gallon batch and was, after a quick recirculation able to collect my wort in a carboy with very little hops transferred. Would say the system will easily filter 95 to 97% of your trub and hops. I was able to filter more than that but I dont.want you to think its 100% Its close, very close and the guys that I invented this for ( the plate chillers) are now able to use their plate chillers without clogging. And really thats why it.was built..as a solution to the "pellet hops clogging my chiller" issue....

Jay,

I've been reading all the success guys are having with your FBs and level 3 filter system. I have the 11 gal Bayou Classic kettle used with a plate chiller and I have also been looking for a better way to filter hops. I see on your website you have the 13 1/2 inch FB for that kettle which you say requires a stand. I was wondering if using the level 3 filter (instead of stand) with the 13 1/2 inch FB sitting on top, reversed so hinges are on top, will work for me. Its hard to tell if the level 3 filter will sit flat on the bottom or not.

Thanks for the help!

Jay,

I've been reading all the success guys are having with your FBs and level 3 filter system. I have the 11 gal Bayou Classic kettle used with a plate chiller and I have also been looking for a better way to filter hops. I see on your website you have the 13 1/2 inch FB for that kettle which you say requires a stand. I was wondering if using the level 3 filter (instead of stand) with the 13 1/2 inch FB sitting on top, reversed so hinges are on top, will work for me. Its hard to tell if the level 3 filter will sit flat on the bottom or not.

Thanks for the help!

No a level 3 is built only for the keg conversion kit. I have however custom built stands for guys with different kettles to build in a level 3 stand. It is a custom build and something we need to talk about so I know exactly what we are dealing with and so we can get it right for you. So on that note if you want to discuss it and other options feel free to PM me your # and I can just call you to go over your options.

Jay

Now we just need another free shipping thread from Jay. That would make the cold of this early spring season a bit warmer!

Jay I will be ordering a false bottom from you, just not sure when. Thanks for all of the quick PM responses from you recently. You have been a lot of help. I just spent quite a bit of money on 3 20 gallon Stainless Kettles and all new fittings, so not sure how soon it will be. Maybe by the time I am ready, you will be running a great special! I doubt it though, I never get that lucky....

Now we just need another free shipping thread from Jay. That would make the cold of this early spring season a bit warmer!

Jay I will be ordering a false bottom from you, just not sure when. Thanks for all of the quick PM responses from you recently. You have been a lot of help. I just spent quite a bit of money on 3 20 gallon Stainless Kettles and all new fittings, so not sure how soon it will be. Maybe by the time I am ready, you will be running a great special! I doubt it though, I never get that lucky....

Have you seen this one?

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f41/11oz-free-nugget-whole-hops-w-false-bottom-purchase-399914/

Its not free shipping but its upgraded shipping with free hops...

Cheers
Jay

Yep, def saw that thread. Great deal for those that use Nugget hops and need the false bottom for a keggle right away! I working on new 20 gallon pots so I will need a custom false bottom, and it will still be a bit of time before I can you use mine for brewing, so priority is not really needed right now. I'll def keep my eyes open for another deal thread from you. From what I have seen, you're stuff is top notch!

What is the best size for keggle?

A 15" hinged is the best sized for a keggle. If you are building a MLT I would suggest a reversed hinge and a level 1 or level 2 stand. If your building a boil kettle then a reversed hinge and a level 2 or a level 3 stand. The level 3 will break out most all the pellet hops and was developed for the guys that were having issues plugging their plate chillers.

Cheers
Jay

Jaybird said:
A 15" hinged is the best sized for a keggle. If you are building a MLT I would suggest a reversed hinge and a level 1 or level 2 stand. If your building a boil kettle then a reversed hinge and a level 2 or a level 3 stand. The level 3 will break out most all the pellet hops and was developed for the guys that were having issues plugging their plate chillers.

Cheers
Jay

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna buy a couple with dip tubes!

Well. I am satisfied with the hop blocker. I use a SS IC. My diptube did not clog. I used leaf and pellets.

Well. I am satisfied with the hop blocker. I use a SS IC. My diptube did not clog. I used leaf and pellets.

Yeah that thing is a monster hop blocker for sure, and when you add a few whole hops its amazing how well it will stop all the hops..... Glad its working out for you...

Cheers
Jay

I've brewed some beers with massive late hop burst additions and haven't yet had one issue with the hop blocker allowing my pump to plug. That thing rocks!

Sorry if this has already been asked jaybird but I was wondering, have you done any of these for the 80qt concord pots? If so do you have an estimate of how much that would run?

I'm going to be being buying some soon and have been trying to figure out what false bottom I want to go with.

Thanks

Sorry if this has already been asked jaybird but I was wondering, have you done any of these for the 80qt concord pots? If so do you have an estimate of how much that would run?

I'm going to be being buying some soon and have been trying to figure out what false bottom I want to go with.

Thanks

I dont think so. But, all I need is 2 measurements to custom build the Jaybird False Bottom system for you.

1. Diameter of the inside of the kettle at the height you want the False Bottom system to sit.
2. the height of the stand.

I will custom build a system to match your needs.

On the website we have a custom False Bottom page that you can check custom Jaybird False Bottom pricing here.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/False_Bottoms_Other_Custom.html

I dont think so. But, all I need is 2 measurements to custom build the Jaybird False Bottom system for you.

1. Diameter of the inside of the kettle at the height you want the False Bottom system to sit.
2. the height of the stand.

I will custom build a system to match your needs.

On the website we have a custom False Bottom page that you can check custom Jaybird False Bottom pricing here.

http://www.norcalbrewingsolutions.com/store/False_Bottoms_Other_Custom.html

Awesome, thanks. Ill probably do that here soon

So the shop move to the new FAB SHOP is complete and we are now building stock of FB's so we can ship a lot faster. I will post up some picts of the new FAB SHOP when I get some time. Its KILLER!!! we now own our own 6' sheer, band saw and roller and cold saw, so our turn around time will greatly improve. We are also bidding on a new milling machine this week so wish me luck there ! Thanks for all the patience guys while we were moving...

Cheers
Jay

Hi Jay

Check the photo of the stainless steel mashtun we are using at my home brew store in Taiwan.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97590405@N05/

I need to order a custom false bottom for this and I am wondering if I need to have a hinge on it due to the thermometer we have installed.
Whaddaya think?
The ID of the tun is approx. 27 cm or 10.63 in and we need it to be 2 inches off the bottom as you can see we have a valve installed in the bottom.
I am visiting Los Angeles until June 21-22. Is is possible for you to build one and ship it to me by this time?

Thank you.

Hi Jay

Check the photo of the stainless steel mashtun we are using at my home brew store in Taiwan.
http://www.flickr.com/photos/97590405@N05/

I need to order a custom false bottom for this and I am wondering if I need to have a hinge on it due to the thermometer we have installed.
Whaddaya think?
The ID of the tun is approx. 27 cm or 10.63 in and we need it to be 2 inches off the bottom as you can see we have a valve installed in the bottom.
I am visiting Los Angeles until June 21-22. Is is possible for you to build one and ship it to me by this time?

Thank you.

Doesn't look like you will need a hinge at all. Do you know how far out the prob sticks into the kettle? If you got the order in today and paid priority shipping I can have this built and in the mail tomorrow AM and there is no reason you couldn't get it by then.

Cheers
Jay

With the False Bottom I assume I won't need to use the SS flex hose that you see in the previous photo.

Hey Jay,
Have you made a FB for a Bayou 1064 brew kettles? I colapsed a stock FB and would like to get another one of yours.

Hey Jay,
Have you made a FB for a Bayou 1064 brew kettles? I colapsed a stock FB and would like to get another one of yours.

No I have not yet, that I know of. I believe its a 15.5" diameter kettle and they don't have the ring on the top, they put it on the bottom. Is that your kettle? ITs a 16 gallon right? I can certainly make you one. Shoot me a PM if your interested and we can discuss the build there.

Cheers
Jay

We are 1/2 way through the Nor Cal Brewing Solutions Giveaway and I want to through this out there for a real select few just for fun. I am going to give the first 10 people who respond to this thread TODAY ONLY a free shipping coupon to be used while the giveaway is going on. So if you are thinking of getting a false bottom respond here, I will PM you a code to use on the site.. This is for USA shipments only.....
Ready.............................. GO

Cheers
Jay

We are 1/2 way through the Nor Cal Brewing Solutions Giveaway and I want to through this out there for a real select few just for fun. I am going to give the first 10 people who respond to this thread TODAY ONLY a free shipping coupon to be used while the giveaway is going on. So if you are thinking of getting a false bottom respond here, I will PM you a code to use on the site.. This is for USA shipments only.....
Ready.............................. GO

Cheers
Jay

Debated if I wanted to get one... Decided yes...yes I do... Mash stir paddle here I come...

Well done mors...

PM sent

Cheers
Jay

Back