what is this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thisisbeer

Reaction score
After 13 days in the primary I opened it to take a sg reading it came out to 1.010. But it didn't look like the other beers I have made. Its a belgian wit and this is the third one I have done. It just has a gray creamy paste on the top. The other beers cleared up by about day 7 or 8 and it didnt quite look like this. What is it? Sorry for the blurry picture.

ForumRunner_20130524_184310.jpg

Probably the remains of krausen.

What specific strain did you pitch? I've only ever used S-05 and S-04, whose krausens completely fall after a week or two, but I've heard that some strains are known for a lingering krausen...

I am using white labs 400. Thats what raised my curosity is I have used the same strain 3 seperate times now. None of which ever did that.

That yeast variety is known to start fast and then just stop or really slow down. Give it time or give it more heat to get it to complete the ferment. Yours has just slowed way down.

Back