iBrewmaster2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alestateyall

Reaction score
Anyone already planning to buy iBrewmaster2?

Some new features that sound good:
- iBM2 is now a Universal App! (Works on both iPhone and iPad.)
- A dozen independent Calculators have been added
- Evaporation
- Pitching Rates
- Water Chemistry
- Water Profiles have been added.
- 33 Water Profiles
- Mash and Equipment Profiles have been reworked.
- Yeast pitching rates.
- iCalendar support is implemented.
- Can now create Recipes from Batches!

But, I am torn. IBrewmaster 1 works fine for me. I will probably upgrade though.

Didn't know it was out. 1 is working fine for me, I suppose when I get a new phone I'll upgrade, but I'm not feeling a need right now. Shrugs.

Braufessor said:
I love my iBrewmaster......what will be the ease of transferring recipes and batches from iBrewmaster 1 to 2?????

Transferring recipes is actually not mentioned on the iBM2 web page. I hope it happens automatically or by uploading to Dropbox in iBM1 and downloading in iBM2.

I am doing some of the beta testing. You are correct and at least as far as the beta is concerned, you backup your Ibrewmaster 1 database to the dropbox and then pick up that database with version 2. It converts batches and recipes. You do have to re input your equipment profile and custom fermentation profiles though, at least at this stage.

So far, the program is impressive. The calculators are really nice, as is the ability to view gravity in plato rather than having to convert everything during the brew session.

Yeah. The water profiles are nice. Just starting to play with that now (spent most of last week on recipes and batches). What I did was set up a profile for my home water and then there are a number of "brewing cities" water profiles in the program (London, Munich, etc). You select a source and target water, and then it takes you to a calculator where you can add adjustments to tweak your source water so it resembles the target water's profile.

One thing I would like iBM2 to do is ask for the measured volume of the wort when taking a gravity reading for efficiency calculations. Right now it assumes the volume matches the target. That assumption can lead to inaccurate efficiency results.

This is a nitpick but I think many people don't understand efficiency and just take whatever number iBM gives them as gospel.

I would like a more efficient no Sparge calculator as well. Right now, you have to get your volumes in the same fashion as the current software, although it seems to be set up for a BIAB profile. At least, I can't figure out how to auto calculate volume in the BIAB mode. I did send an e mail this morning on this very point and will pass on whatever I hear. On your second point, I have always just deducted whatever volume I missed by from my batch size which I believe results in accurate numbers

DFP51 said:
On your second point, I have always just deducted whatever volume I missed by from my batch size which I believe results in accurate numbers

I do that too. It is accurate for efficiency, but, that change ripples through everything else like mash volumes and so it messes up the history of what you actually did.

SusieBrew said:
Does anyone know if there will be an upgrade from IBM1 to IBM2? Discount?
Susie

When I opened iBM last night a message popped up about iBM2. The message said the current "reduced" price is available for a limited time to allow iBM users a lower price to upgrade.

I am buying Beersmith Mobile. It is $10 cheaper.

I cant justify a 18$ app upgrade when IBM1 does everything i need...where is the logic here? Am i missing something? Or does $18 seem like a special reduced price to ya'all?

I dunno...I'm torn. $18 is a bit much for an "upgrade", but I do prefer it over Beersmith. Something to ponder over a beer...:mug:
Susie

I'm having a hard time with the price as well. I've already purchased IBM1 twice - once on the iPod/iPhone and another on the iPad (since IBM1 is not universal). Now, another $18 to get a few new features over IBM1??? A bit hard to swallow, but I do use it all the time. Seriously considering switching over to BeerSmith2 + Mobile app - the previous lack of a mobile app was all that kept me from BeerSmith in the first place. At least then I have access both on my iPad and PC, and BeerSmith is still more feature rich. However, all of my recipes are in IBM1. Argh.

It's funny, if it was ~ $10-$12 I don't think I would hesitate, but I have some weird mental block with $18. That's like 1 La Fin du Monde bomber!

cyclonite said:
I'm having a hard time with the price as well. I've already purchased IBM1 twice - once on the iPod/iPhone and another on the iPad (since IBM1 is not universal). Now, another $18 to get a few new features over IBM1??? A bit hard to swallow, but I do use it all the time. Seriously considering switching over to BeerSmith2 + Mobile app - the previous lack of a mobile app was all that kept me from BeerSmith in the first place. At least then I have access both on my iPad and PC, and BeerSmith is still more feature rich. However, all of my recipes are in IBM1. Argh.

It's funny, if it was ~ $10-$12 I don't think I would hesitate, but I have some weird mental block with $18. That's like 1 La Fin du Monde bomber!

I bought Beersmith Mobile. There are several features in iBM not in Beersmith.

1. Inventory
2. Calendar + Notifications
3. Efficiency calculation. I can't find it anyway

In regards to your recipes, if you bought the PC version you could export them as XML and then import them to Beersmith.

I have iBM and really like it. There are some promising new features in iBM2 that intrigue me, but I'm not ready to buy it for $18 only to find they don't live up to what I'd hoped, since there is no way to really test it out without diving in head first and just buying it. I'm happy with iBM 1 right now, so it comes down to whether the new features in iBM2 are really worth $18. If they are smart, they will put out some more info (like screenshots or a tutorial video) on how these new features work. Until then, I don't think I'm sold on that expensive of an upgrade. The whole program is probably worth that price, but not if you already own iBM1 and are really just paying for added features.

Just posted this to the iBrewmaster iPhone thread, posting here as it is more relevant to this iBrewmaster 2 thread.

At first glance, I though $17 was a bit expensive. I went ahead and upgraded and bought v2. I am very impressed. After using version 1, Beersmith lite, and Beersmith full on the iPad, iBrewmaster2 is by far the best. I don't remember how much v1 was, but the recipe packs were $8 alone. Now there are 600 included. There are a couple of bugs which caused the program to exit, but these seem minor. The profiles, batch tracking, inventory tracking, and recipe editing are all first class. This is much easier to use than Beersmith full on the iPad which was also released in the past week.

The only aspect of Beersmith I like better are the references and Beersmith Cloud. IBrewmaster can save to your own DropBox account, but not interact with thousands of others like Beersmith cloud.

For now IBrewmaster2 will be my main app, moving recipes from Beersmith now.

I know what it takes to develop apps and deal with Apple. Personally I think this should be a $10 to $15 app, but I am satisfied with what I received paying $18. In app purchases to upgrade to a new version through Apple are very complicated because of Apple.

Hopefully they will continue to improve their cloud recipe sharing feature. It would probably be too much to ask to integrate Beersmith cloud. Overall highly recommended if you want to use your iPad or iPhone as your primary brewing computer.

Hawkeye11 said:
Just posted this to the iBrewmaster iPhone thread, posting here as it is more relevant to this iBrewmaster 2 thread.

At first glance, I though $17 was a bit expensive. I went ahead and upgraded and bought v2. I am very impressed. After using version 1, Beersmith lite, and Beersmith full on the iPad, iBrewmaster2 is by far the best. I don't remember how much v1 was, but the recipe packs were $8 alone. Now there are 600 included. There are a couple of bugs which caused the program to exit, but these seem minor. The profiles, batch tracking, inventory tracking, and recipe editing are all first class. This is much easier to use than Beersmith full on the iPad which was also released in the past week.

The only aspect of Beersmith I like better are the references and Beersmith Cloud. IBrewmaster can save to your own DropBox account, but not interact with thousands of others like Beersmith cloud.

For now IBrewmaster2 will be my main app, moving recipes from Beersmith now.

I know what it takes to develop apps and deal with Apple. Personally I think this should be a $10 to $15 app, but I am satisfied with what I received paying $18. In app purchases to upgrade to a new version through Apple are very complicated because of Apple.

Hopefully they will continue to improve their cloud recipe sharing feature. It would probably be too much to ask to integrate Beersmith cloud. Overall highly recommended if you want to use your iPad or iPhone as your primary brewing computer.

I am curious how different iBM2 is from iBM. It looks like the same app with new calculators. Is that the case or do the old features actually work better some how?

alestateyall said:
I am curious how different iBM2 is from iBM. It looks like the same app with new calculators. Is that the case or do the old features actually work better some how?

Honestly, I really only used iBrewmaster one to look at recipe ideas. IBrewmaster2' UI has definitely been updated and improved. Profiles seem much enhanced, and efficiency calculation. There are far more base recipes in this version.

I would have to go back thought the first version to really see how it was improved, but after a day using version 2 I am really impressed. Plan to use this exclusively in my brew of an Bells Two Hearted tomorrow. Just entered my recipe from Beersmith n

Well, I thought we were getting some kind of break on the price. As stated, special discount pricing for existing users, only $17.99. He also states in his blog that he would've considered lower pricing for existing users but the appstore structure won't allow that. First, that is total hogwash. I just updated BeerAlchemy from v1 to v2 for $4.99 via the iOS appstore. Secondly, about the special introductory pricing, his statements got me to thinking about what did I originally pay for the app back in December, 2012. I found the receipt, it was $14.99. Hmm, something isn't adding up here.

However, it's everyone's right to charge what the market will support. It's also everyone's right to either purchase or not. I, for one, will not be supporting iBrewMaster.

Anybody getting an error when trying to link iBM2 with Dropbox? I'm getting a message that says something to the effect that only a few users can connect to Dropbox while in development mode

I bought iBrewmaster a few years ago and have loved it ever since. This guy has CONSTANTLY offered upgrades, fixes and updates for free and is now, finally doing a complete rewrite and is charging for the new program. I have an astronomy app that I paid $40 for and honestly I don't think $36 for a program like iBrewmaster is that much of a stretch.

I just bought my copy and am stoked to use it. I'm also happy to throw a few bucks at the guy who created it to help support the business he's running. Man, I'd buy a t-shirt if he was selling one for $20...Thanks iBrewmaster guy! You rock! :mug:

FlyDoctor said:
Anybody getting an error when trying to link iBM2 with Dropbox? I'm getting a message that says something to the effect that only a few users can connect to Dropbox while in development mode

I am also "Only a limited amount of users can receive access tokens while this app is in development mode"

iBrewmaster 1 connected with no problem, let me set up my account, and save my DB. iBm2 gives me that error when I try to link it to Dropbox.

image-3245847331.jpg

Yep - that's the one. The transfer instructions mention trouble connecting to DB from iBM1 - but like you I had no trouble in that step.

Of anyone has a workaround for this please post

I bought iBrewmaster a few years ago and have loved it ever since. This guy has CONSTANTLY offered upgrades, fixes and updates for free and is now, finally doing a complete rewrite and is charging for the new program.

I don't have a problem with supporting this guy. What I do have a problem with is misleading his existing customers. I'll post his explanation for charging so much for the upgrade pricing to his loyal customers:

From his Facebook wall:
While the overall support is quite amazing, we do realize that some users have not received the past 4 years worth of updates free, and wanted to take a brief moment to explain our dilemma with releasing iBrewMaster 2. Unfortunately, Apple does not provide us with any discounting options for previous users, nor do they offer any "maintenance" programs as we've suggested numerous times. (Provide developers a way to charge a small yearly maintenance fee for users to get continued updates, while allowing those who decline to continue to use the app in it's last version under maintenance.) Their pricing is simple…one price for everyone!

This is absolutely not the case. I just recently updated an app I purchased from the iOS appstore. The AppStore does have existing user/upgrading pricing as they know if you have purchased an app before. I recently upgraded BeerAlchemy, a $19.99 app for $4.99 as upgrade pricing. I really don't have an issue with $18, its only a couple six packs, but I do have an issue with the way he's going about defusing the backlash for the higher than normal upgrade price for existing customers.

If he would've just came out and said, "Hey, I've rewritten the software from the ground up and need to charge $XX for the product", fine, but this explanation is clearly false and misleading. Ultimately the market will decide his fate, but I for one will not support a deceitful developer. I have removed his apps from all my iOS devices.

What he seems to be saying to me is "You've been getting free updates and upgrades for four years and it shouldn't be that big a deal that unfortunately I have to charge for this level of program revamp (it is a business afterall). And sadly, if you just bought the program within the past year you probably didn't notice all those free upgrades but Apple doesn't let me charge you a different price than someone else based off of when you purchased"

Nobody here knows what it might have taken to overhaul the program to make it function properly with all of the upgrades people were asking for. It's not always as easy as just hanging as many new features as you feel like off of an existing framework. Nobody also knows what hoops Apple is making them jump through or what communication they have had.

I bought the original program, and all the recipe packs (which are all free in the new program) and now I have bought iBm2. I'm happy to support them and expect all of the upgrades over the next few years will be just as free as in the original program.

I also read into the above quote that he would really like to make this a subscription type software license where you pay so much per year to use his software.

DerCribben, you are obviously fine with his pricing structure and business model. On the other hand, I am not. Like I said above, ultimately the market will decide his fate.

Cheers :mug:

I think part of the problem is the price doubled with no warning. We were looking forward to iBM2 and a discount for owning iBM1. We didn't expect that discount to be 2X what we paid for iBM1. I paid $9.99. A lot of people got onboard earlier and paid even less.

In regards to paying what software is worth I get that. I have developed software professionally and software development is an expensive endeavor.

One thing to remember is iBrewmaster has competition. Beersmith is a similar operation, ie. a solo programmer trying to make a living. I bought Beersmith Mobile. Why? Brad Smith, the Beersmith developer, does a lot for homebrewers. In addition to the software he has a blog with very good brewing info, a forum, and a pod cast. I am sure he does all these for marketing reasons but they are quality offerings.

The iBrewmaster developer just does software.

Don't get me wrong iBM1 was a great product. But, I prefer to pay $7.99 to a developer who does way more than $18.99 for iBM2 to a guy who just does software.

I was a bit thrown on someone getting a discount on Beer Alchemy. I didn't think Apple did what someone else said with discounts. I just looked up Beer Alchemy's history, and it looks like it was $4.99 for a short time but that it was thier regular price....

http://appshopper.com/food-drink/beeralchemy-touch-2

Shows it was $4.99 until 2/1/13, then it went to $9.99...then on 3/13/13 it went to $19.99! doubled their price twice!

If you had BeerAlchemy installed already, you were prompted that an upgrade was available and you could purchase for 4.99. I don't know how it was done, however, this is an example of how to treat existing customers with an upgrade policy. I actually own all three major mobile apps for brewing and try to support their development but never again for iBrewMaster.

I dove in and bought iBrewmaster 2, below are my thoughts:
  • It's really glitchy and crashes a lot, in fact the first time I opened it on my iPad and on my iPhone it crashed on both
  • There needs to be a seemless way to keep the apps on different platforms in sync (iPad and iPhone)
  • Importing your recipes/batches/DB from iBrewmaster 1 is a joke - you need to make sure your batch sizes are correct and you will HAVE to update your mash profile FOR EACH RECIPE AND BATCH, completely unacceptable as I have way too many old batches to go back in and update when those beers are long gone. I will not be doing this, which means iBrewmaster 1 will forever live on my devices in addition to iBrewmaster 2
  • This app is pretty much unusable for a brew day at the moment. Every time I try to add 0.5 lb Crystal 40L to a recipe it adds the grain correctly but lists the measurement as 8 oz. Cannot figure out away around this
  • Login with Facebook creates an endless loop of login/confirm screens
  • Many screens and options were not thoroughly tested - there are apparent glitches, options and settings that don't function properly
  • Dropbox integration is very glitchy at the moment
  • Seriously, water additions can ONLY be shown in quarts still? WTF
  • They tried to remove those number roller selector things but I don't know that the replacement is any better - I always end up at the second or third decimal and have to backspace through the values. It should just disappear when you jump to the input field
  • Weird keyboard actions on several occasions which make it difficult to see what you are typing because the field is hidden by the keyboard
  • Should have a way to disable "Fullscreen mode" - I need my clock/time at the top!
  • There doesn't appear to be an easy way to provide feedback to the developer/crash reports
  • There needs to be a place where notifications live, the flash screens and pop-ups are really, really horrible
  • Why are the icons at the top of the batch/recipe screens still there? There should be one button within the recipe/batch that gives you access to those features

Bottom line: Save your money for now. At $18 I feel like I've "been had" for the quality of what was delivered.

The developer needs to hire or work with better beta testers - in only a few short minutes with the app I've been able to identify an unacceptable amount of defects. I work in software and tech development and if I was overseeing this project I would have listed the apparent defects and sent this back to the development team to check their work

Latest posts

Back