Need brewing efficiency help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilT

Reaction score
I've been home brewing for a few months now, and have several batches under my belt. I have never done any brewing with extracts, it has been all-grain brewing since day 1. I have brewed a Brown Porter, an American Stout, a Belgian Wit, and most recently an American Brown Ale. The first batches were recipes I found in a book that was followed very closely to basically learn how to brew, but the last 2 Belgian Wit and American Brown Ale were recipes that I built on my own, after looking at a few base recipes to recipe model.

I recently found the Brewer's Friend Beer Recipe Builder and have been comparing the target results (OG, FG, ABV, SRM, IBU, etc) to my actual results. In this last batch the target OG that it gave me was 1.060 and my actual OG was 1.050. At first I thought I had input the recipe incorrectly, but then I figured out the "Efficiency" box. The default is 75% and after inputting the recipe information for most two most recent batches, I figured out I'm running at a 60% efficiency. Obviously, that is effecting my ABV and I don't want to keep it as high as possible. I could very easily add more fermentables to my recipe to increase the ABV, but I'm using enough that I should be getting better results.

I do not have a large home brew set up. I purchased a basic home brew kit from my LHBS and realized it was mainly for making the extract kits, so I had to piece together all of the other items for an all grain brewing set up. I usually make a 2 gallon batch, b/c it would be difficult to make much larger with the set up that I have. I don't have large enough stainless steel pots for the mash, boil, sparge, etc. Anyway, here is the question, at what stage(s) in the brew process can I increase my efficiency?

If I had to guess, I am not getting all of the sugars from the grain during the mash/steep. I mash/steep for a full hour at 146-152 degrees F. I try to stay 150-152 F, but its difficult on a kitchen stove. The other place I think I am probably losing efficiency is the sparge. I generally try to sparge for about 15 minutes, but that is essentially me manually pouring the wort over the grains again and again. I'm thinking the sparge needs to be at a warmer temp as well.

Very soon I will be upgrading to a better/larger brew system once I have put some more recipes together so that I can try them out on more friends, but for now any insight to increase efficiency would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers! :mug:

What is your mash tun like? Do you have a screen or BIAB? I would sparge slower and make sure you get all the sweet wort you can in the kettle.

You're probably losing eff in your sparging process. How many gals do you brew at a time and what is your pre-boil volume?

Your sparge water should be 170-175 F. Also, if you fly sparge, it should take you much longer than 15 minutes to collect your pre-boil volume. This is where I used to lose efficiency before I figured out what the problem was. Now I fly sparge withing 30-40 minutes and get a very consistent 72% total efficiency.

Cheers!

I'm essentially using a large stainless steel pot and then I use a screen to filter out the grains and collect the wort in another large pot. I then dump the sparge water at 175-180 degrees F over the grains. I continue to dump the combined water/wort over the grains for about 15 minutes. I'm making 2 gallon batches, about 2.875 gallons pre-boil.

I think you should not be recirculating your first runnings over the grain.

Just drain the first runoff, then put in the sparge water, stir, recirculate a few pitchers (to clear the runnings) and drain into the kettle.

you can also use beersmith to calculate how much sparge water you'll need to reach your pre-boil volume, this way you end up with the right amount or wort and the loss is minimal.

Ah, that makes sense. So I just need to use the sparge water to rinse the grains and not the original.

Who mills your grains? Can you change the setting on the mill? How fine mesh is your screen?

Most often low efficiency is from grains that are milled too coarse. You want them as fine as you can strain out of the wort.

I BIAB so with the fine mesh of the bag, I mill my grains very fine. That fine grind gives me great efficiency and much faster conversion. You should read about it here on HomeBrewTalk.

Ah, that makes sense. So I just need to use the sparge water to rinse the grains and not the original.

The first wort you collected (first runnings) is saturated with sugars. Recirculating that doesn't do much. Fresh hot water can dissolve much more of the sugar so that is what you sparge with.

My LHBS mills them, so that may be part of the problem. The mesh is fairly large, is comparable to the screen on a kitchen screen/colander.

So essentially get them milled very fine and then just use the bag to get all of the sugar out as possible?

You could also batch sparge which will save time and you won't have to worry about how long your sparging. Just drain your first runnings, add half your sparge water stir and let sit for 10 minutes then drain, then repeat one last time.

My LHBS mills them, so that may be part of the problem. The mesh is fairly large, is comparable to the screen on a kitchen screen/colander.

So essentially get them milled very fine and then just use the bag to get all of the sugar out as possible?

I use a paint strainer bag that goes right in the pot. When the temperature is at strike temp, I turn off the heat, slip the bag in the pot and stir in the grains. When the mash is over I pull the bag of grains out, squeeze out all the wort I can and then do a pseudo sparge, running cold water over the grains and squeezing it out again.

To get the grains milled fine enough, I bought a cheap Corona style grain mill. The nearest brew store that has a mill is 150 miles so I felt I needed to have my own. YMMV:mug:

To get the grains milled fine enough, I bought a cheap Corona style grain mill. The nearest brew store that has a mill is 150 miles so I felt I needed to have my own. YMMV:mug:

This

I fitted a low-speed 3/8 drill I had on the corona mill. It's been working like a charm for 8+ years.

Plus, now you can build your own recipes at home and not depend on your LHBS.

Read about the batch sparge, and let us know how your efficiency turns out on your next brew

Cheers !

Just got completed with the clean up from my latest brew, and I was more than excited with the results. This week I bought all the pieces and made a mash tun from a high quality cooler, instead of mashing in the stainless steel pot that I had been doing. I batch sparged as you guys recommended, and greatly exceeded my expectations. At the 60% efficiency that I had been running, my target OG was 1.055 and I ended up being 1.063!! After adjusting my brewer's friend info, I went from a 60% efficiency to a 72% efficiency on this recipe! It took my target ABV from 5.5% to 6.35%! I am going to have to back off on the malt the recipe that I put together for a brew I'm doing tomorrow night. Thanks again for the help!

Back