Fermzilla 30L all rounder- fits in a mini fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanPancho

Reaction score
having a bit of trouble trying to suss out the interior dimensions of your typical mini fridge. i see the post for chest freezers, but didnt see for mini fridges. few images online but arent clear about the hump and its height/etc.etc.

the fermzilla all rounder is quoted as 14" wide and about 24" tall per morebeer. anybody have one and use it in a mini fridge? or able to tell me if that will work or not?

thanks

Mini fridges vary a lot. The one I'm using has a 15" usable width but only 21" height because of the compressor hump, and just shy of 14" of usable depth even with a modified door. With a collar (in the works) I'll be able to put fermenters in front of the hump to use 28" of height and have at least as much depth in front of the hump as width.

The wine fridge style ones tend to have a smaller hump and therefore have more usable space.

whats the sizing on your u
Mini fridges vary a lot. The one I'm using has a 15" usable width but only 21" height because of the compressor hump, and just shy of 14" of usable depth even with a modified door. With a collar (in the works) I'll be able to put fermenters in front of the hump to use 28" of height and have at least as much depth in front of the hump as width.

The wine fridge style ones tend to have a smaller hump and therefore have more usable space.
whats the sizing on your unit?

got it. wonder if the larger 4.5 +/- units would be the answer. few inches more in width and depth, although height seems the same. but im not scared to cut out the freezer compartment and make more space so i guess its still a question of what sort of height you get from the hump to the roof.

3.3 Cu Ft. I got this one specifically because it had no freezer to deal with. https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-3-3-cu-ft-mini-fridge-black/6195311.p?skuId=6195311
How did this work out? When I contacted Best Buy for the internal dimensions they gave me:

H = 31"
W = 18"
D = 16.1"

...which would work for my All Rounder, but when looking at a photo of the interior there appears to be a hump in the bottom. It seems they gave me the deepest measurement.

1629804818171.png

You’ll likely need to build a collar. My fridge is very similar and there’s no way a fermzilla would fit on the floor next to the compressor hump with the door closed - unless you add a collar.

Dan

I have this exact problem Dan.. What do you mean by adding a collar? I assume this makes more space somehow?
Thanks
Mark

With a 3.3 cu ft unit, I think you are hard pressed to find a fermentation vessel that will fit easily. I use an all rounder in a 4.4 cu ft unit (also no freezer) and it works, but the depth is the limiting dimension. If the diameter of the fermenter were like 4" greater I don't think it would fit, even though there is a good 6" clearance in the up and down direction.

I found this add-hock solution from the homebrew challenge channel:

Im thinking of giving this a try, but with a wine fermentor, which is a bit more heavy duty than the cheap version shown in the video. I currently use a wine fermentor in my under counter fermenting fridge and I recon I could adapt that in a similar way. Anyone done a similar thing?

Mark

Back