Fermentrack access from outside my home

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

matridium

Reaction score
Hey guys long time!
Busy busy busy.

anyway going to actually get back to. Normal life soon and I can actually brew and use fermentrack again!!
Anyway I’m going to be out of town on a family trip and want to access my controller from another location. I’m sure this has been covered before but I did a search and found little info... so it’s probably me.... no the forum. Is their a simple way to setup remote access?

You either need to forward ports in from your router, employ a DMZ, setup a VPN, or use a reverse proxy or other way of accessing the device or another inside your network.

Simplest way is probably to remote into another computer in your home to look at things. There are many free solutions out there from anydesk to teamviewer to google remote access, and many paid solutions GoToMyPC, Splashtop, etc... All are pretty consumer friendly and have pretty good documentation.

Second would be to set up something like remote.it which is a reverse proxy and allows you to connect a device to their service, then you go to their site and it fires up access for you to see what you need.

Slightly more complicated you could set up something like hamachi (vpn.net) as a vpn, Not sure on linux/pi capacity though.

Past that, you could forward one or more ports from the internet to allow access to your network/devices. This could be dangerous though, and could be "advanced". I would steer away from this unless you know what you are doing with it already, in which case you might not be asking this question.

Good luck

I very familiar with team viewer I use I for work all the time and to help my mom do stuff on her computer. And to be honest I guess I did not think of that as an option since I’m using Linux based system! There should be a raspberry pie Remote Desktop app out their I can access from my phones.
anyway thanks for the help!

remote.it will allow you to forward in vnc ports. There is a Teamviewer port for the pi as well. I got it to work once, but I don't really use the desktop much.

Latest posts

Back