Herms & rims

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haerbob3

Reaction score
Hi anyone have advice for someone just starting out with a HREMS rig? I have brew 6 batches so far. Like it. I am still having a problem getting my efficiency to be the same between batches.

How big of an effect does your crush have to do with it?

I am batch sparging because I only have one pump.

What is the variance you are having in the efficiency? Are you crushing the grain yourself? Do you have some examples?

I do the crushing myself. I use a barley crusher and an electric drill at just enough speed to keep it moving. If I go faster I had stuck sparges but that was when I was doing my mashing in a cooler. Does the rate at which the wort flows thr the grain bed effect the efficiency?

crush will affect efficiency if it is grossly under cracked or over powdered. You have probably experienced the powder issue, but can prevent that by adding rice hulls next time. I try to get the crush as fine as I can get without a stuck sparge. I also tend to re-rinse my grains a bit when I am vorkaufing and sparging. If it isnt really really clear I dump it back in the top with the sparge water and try again. I batch sparge and add just enough water to cover the grain by about 1 inch when I am sparging. I have even poured a gallon or more back into the tun because it didnt appear to be clear enough solids wise to suit me too. Maintaining your temps is a big thing to conversion rates so keep a close eye on you Strike, Mash-in and temp drop too.

Wheelchair Bob

Back