How Did Your first Brew Go?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heavywalker

Reaction score
I thought this would be a good place to post some stories of your first brewing experience. There are countless questions on here, and people worrying, me included, about their first brew. All our beginning stories may help with easing the fear of a noob, and see that even the pros that frequent this site had issues when they first started.

So without further ado here is mine. (disclaimer I made a few kits before this but this is my first time with a boil and hop additions)

I made a 1.5L starter two days before brew day with 6 oz of DME brought to a boil for 10 minutes chilled and pitched yeast.

The night before I sanitized my clean carboy by dumping about half gallon of san star in it an capped it with a solid rubber bung, gave it a good shake and let it sit overnight. I also filled a bucket with sanstar and placed a stiring spoon, funnel, drilled stopper, 3 piece airlock, and a strainer put a lid on it and gave it a good shake and let that sit over night. I also picked up two bags of ice from the store the day before for the ice bath (should have got 2 more). I then went outside to set up my propane burner and tank and get everything ready, only thing was that I had not used the burner in years and the damn hose was clogged and would not work, being 30 minutes from the nearest store I had to move the operation inside (oh well nothing I can do now).

next morning I wake up and get the coffee going, and start getting things going, I bring my 2.5 gallons up to the steeping temp of 155 and place my 1 lb of crystal 40L in a mesh bag to steep them for 20 minutes, I think to myself this is easy... Little did I realize the burner was still on and the temps kept creeping up I realized once the temp was at about 160 and turned the burner off, then stupid me leaves the pot on the hot burner and the temp continues to rise to about 168 (oh well nothing I can do now) moving on, I turn the burner back on and bring the the wort up to a boil and shut the burner off and remove from the heat, then since I planned on adding half of my DME now and the other half at flame out, naturally I added all of it upfront.:( (oh well nothing I can do now) moving on...

Once I got all the DME stirred in I brought the wort up to a boil and started adding hops, I narrowly avoided a boil over on the first 60min addition, noobs keep your hands free at this point and prepare to move fast in between hop additions I prepared an ice bath in the utility sink for cooling. The rest of the hop additions went smoothly and I moved to cooling, the ice from the two bags I picked up the night before was not nearly enough and melted rather quickly, so I emptied all of the ice from the ice maker, I am sure that the wort didn't cool down nearly as quickly as it should. oh well... Once the wort was cooled down I packed it into the bathroom (the carboy is sitting in the tub) and transferred the wort into the carboy, this is the point that I realized that the strainer that I sanitized the night before should have been used during said transfer. oh well... moving on. I add the rest of the water to the fermenter and fill the bath tub about halfway up the carboy in my redneck swampcooler method with 62 degree water. I waited a couple more hours and made sure the wort was cool then pitched my starter, and put my airlock full of sanstar on.

I watched this thing like a hawk the rest of the day, about 10PM the yeast started getting happy, I was afraid of a blowoff so I stayed up until around midnight and decided that there was no need for a blowoff so I went to bed. WRONG! woke up the next morning to an airlock full of beer and little splatters of beer all over the tub. oh well... moving on, I went and fetched a siphon tube out of my man cave sanitized it and stuffed it in the drilled stopper and the other end in a half gallon jug with sanstar.

The brew has been happily bubbling away since Saturday. No less than 6 screw ups and I still haven't bottled and primed so that number could go up, but oh well nothing I can do about that.

This stuff is stressful, I have got to tell you for first time brewers the response of RDWHAHB is infuriating, look, this is our first batch, we don't have any f'ing homebrew... so why don't you relax and tell us everything is going to be ok. :D

Anybody want to share their first experience, don't need to be detailed as the above but how did you screw up and how did your brew turn out.

Cheers :mug:

Dude you should get a T-Shirt made...

Front: Oh well...
Back: Nothing I can do now!!

Fingers crossed no real cock ups yet but in the next week or so making the jump up to all grain, so margin for error is going to increase, I like the bath chiller by the way :)

Easy now!

Jon

Oh how I wish I had my notes with me, but since my first brew was pretty recent, I can remember a few of the "improvements for next time" I wrote down.

Consider pitching at the pitching temp listed on the yeast package instead of just getting the temp below 90 like the instructions with the kit said.

Consider reading the dry yeast pack next time and see if I should rehydrate it before pitching.

Consider actually *not* rinsing my no-rinse sanitizer!

Next time, clean and spray sanitizer over the countertop next to the stove before I brew so I have a convenient place to set down my stirring tool.

Next time, leave the lid off the brew pot during the boil! Don't want DMS!

I need more ice to cool my wort than I think!!!

Fast-forward three weeks (two week ferment and one in the bottle).

Tasting notes: Nice flavor! A little flat, though, and no head to speak of! Did I mess up my carbonation? Did I take too long to bottle? I saw little bubbles coming up in the bottling bucket while I was bottling. Did I lose too much CO2? Ok, I've read HBT say that beer is too young to tell, but did I mess it up?

Fast-forward one more week:

Finally tap my first 5L mini-keg of my homebrew, and....

Oh! This is better! Nice carbonation! Nice head! I even have lacing! "Honey, do you see that? It's LACING!"

That last installment was just this past weekend. Yes, I am still having a hard time with patience, a noob with a lot to learn, but it just might be starting to sink in, a little tiny bit, patience is important. Give your beer time. RDWHAHB.

And the best part of all is that I do have some homebrew to RDWHAHB with, even if it's still probably a bit green.

Cheers!

When I did my first batch I was CLUELESS. Totally in the dark without a candle in sight. Really had no idea of what I was doing. Beyond ignorant to the entire process.

But you know what...I had beer when I was done. You will too.

Enjoy the process...learn from your mistakes....learn that a good friend will help you drink the suckiest of beers, even though you both know that this beer sucks...try not to worry...and keep brewing

Mine was great!

I was too ignorant to know any better. I brewed an AHS Summer Saison using Wyeast 3724, being blissfully unaware of its propensity for stalling at 1.030.

After three weeks it was predictably stuck at 1.030 and I was panicked. I checked things out and decided to apply some heat to that MF'er. Used an aquarium heater to bring it up to the 90's and all was well.

My first brew ended up way beyond my expectations. Each successive brew since then has proven I was right to follow this path.

pete

First was an autumn amber from Midwest. Brew day went surprisingly well, except I gave no thought to how I would control temps. Throw it in the hall closet, I said to myself rather foolishly. So I did. And active fermentation was done in less than 24 hours, and my beer reeked of fusels. That's when I discovered HBT and read to let it sit. Which I did, it was drinkable but looking back pretty gross. But I refused to buy anything until it was gone!

Did my first batch during the christmas vacation while staying at my parents place. I just got my equipment (BIAB) and got home at 8 in the evening and wanted to start immidiately, so I could have my first batch fermenting as soon as possible.

Before buying all the equipment I did some exessive reading on the matter of brewing, and I felt overprepared for my first batch. Oh, how I was wrong!

Heated up my mash water while unpacking all the equipment and getting familiar with it, and started mashing in. It all went suprisingly well untill I figured out that my kettle insulation was partly melting on my moms new stovetop. She was not amused.

After mashing I went on boiling, but it took so long reaching a boil. At this point my parents wanted to go to bed, but that was not possible when I was rattling around in the kitchen, so my mom decided to "help" me, which made me even more stressed out and I started making mistakes.

Apart from the stressing out part, it all went surprisingly well until rehydrating my yeast. I used an unsanitized spoon, and I spent two weeks worrying about the condition of my beer. Was it infected? On bottling day, I was so happy that my IPA was actually pretty good.

My first brew day didn't go that bad, but after now 10 batches my heart rate on brew day is now significantly more calm than that day.

Lesson learned? RDWHAHB

For some reason I made a Kolsch with my first batch, I suppose because the Brewers Best kit said it was "easy"...which it was I suppose. Followed the instructions to the T during the boiling process but still had a few issues.

It was my first time using my propane grill so of course I had trouble getting the water to remain within the 150-170 range...added my malt extract while it was still on the flame...and generally just feeling overwhelmed about getting everything right to the exact degree or second. I figured once I had chilled and pitched the yeast the beer didn't need much looking after. That was a mistake and I think the temps got a bit warm during the fermentation process.

I ended up with a decent but very forgettable beer. I'm not a huge fan of Kolsch's to begin with but a few of my BMC drinking friends loved it.

My first brew day was about a month ago. Which was also the first time using a propane burner. I think that part worried me the most, especially in a garage with a side door open and a big door cracked (no CO fatalities, thanks!). A beginner extract kit from NB. Everything went really smooth thanks to the great resources here and NB. Got it bottled last weekend and if things go right this weekend I may be able to brew the 'specialty grain' extract kit that came in today :thumbsup: Happy brewing!

My first brew day was about 3 weeks ago. I got the recipe from my local brew guy who stated it was his own recipe and supposed to be similar to a Dogfish Head 60 minute. Everything was going fine until I went to pitch my yeast (I never even looked at it so I have no idea what it was). My recipe told me that there were two options, rehydrate your yeast or pitch it directly into the wort. I chose the easier route. it also told me that all I had to do was cool the work below 90 degrees. So I pitched it in my fermenter after aeration and adding water, only to temp it at 82°!! I ended up freaking out and obsessing that I had pitched it too low (as per instructions) and my yeast wouldn't activate. My recipe also said my fermentation temps should be between 60-74°. My basement runs in the low 60's so again I began to panic that I had ruined it all and my yeast were going to be too few and too cold! Thats when I joined this site and started reading and began to relax. Three weeks later here I am getting ready to bottle and after repeated tastings I can say, I think this is going to be some damn good beer! My second batch went MUCH smoother after extensive reading. RDWHAHB!

My first brew day was last fall, and the ambient temps were still quiet warm. I decided to try an extract brown ale for the first attempt. I was amazed at how easy it went. The only problem was, I did not have a wort chiller, so it was going to have to cool on it's own.

What's the fastest way to cool something? Set it out in the cool evening air. Of course, an open container will cool faster than a closed vessel, so I left the plastic bucket out on the porch uncovered! For over 6 HOURS! :eek:

Fermentation went great -- the beer smelled really good out of the airlock. Well, needless to say, it was really infected and sour. Undrinkable. I quickly built a wort chiller for the next batch! :D

Back