Missed mash temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rosvineer

Reaction score
I missed my mash temp by -10f. I was supposed to mash at 152, and hit 142. Should I add boiling water until I get to target temp, or just leave it?

Sorry, a, little late but yes, you can add hotter water to raise the temp but at this point conversion is probably well under way so it may or may not make a difference.

Are you using a calibrated thermometer? That will make a difference in your readings as well. Mashing low will basically give you a more fermentable wort meaning your FG may wind up being lower than anticipated creating a slightly drier, less sweet finish to the beer which may or may not be desirable to the style being brewed.

I added a bit of almost boiling water to get it closer. I would have had to add too much to bring it up where it should have been.

Slightly dry will be fine. My brews have tended to be too sweet so this may be a nice change

Back