Over-sulfited my blueberry mead two years ago, still musty. Can I save it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rodenlager

Reaction score
Basically, I miffed a measurement on campden and meta-K in a 3 gallon batch of mulberry mead, now it has quite a noticeable sulfite musk smell...even two years later. It's been in in a tertiary fermenter the whole time.

So, my question is can I save it?

Rodenlager said:
Basically, I miffed a measurement on campden and meta-K in a 3 gallon batch of mulberry mead, now it has quite a noticeable sulfite musk smell...even two years later. It's been in in a tertiary fermenter the whole time.

So, my question is can I save it?

Splash rack it a few times. See if the smell dissipates.

If it has an odor now, it can't be from the sulfites as they would have dissipated long ago. Was it topped up properly? Using "musty" smells are infection or a sign of undersulfiting, and not oversulfiting so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Sulfury rotten egg musk?

I got that when my temps were too high and the yeast were very stressed. Thought I over sulfated but after a year there was no improvement and I dumped it.

If it's musky like fresh man-scent... I've got nothing

Splash racked it a few times last year...didn't develop a musk smell/aftertaste til I added the sulfates/campden...

I'm thinking of making another couple gallons with fresh crop to dilute the old batch.

Exactly how much k-meta/campden did you add to this 3-gal batch, and when? That was the only SO2 added? What yeast did you use? Did you leave it on any lees?

If I remember right, it was 2 or 3 campden tabs, and an equal part metabi. Did not let it sit on any lees...transfered a few times just to get it off spent fruit matter. Used wyeast sweet mead yeast. Ironicly...it finished at 0.98 not so sweet in my book.

I'm currently harvesting more mulberries...worst case situation is make more wine and cut it.

Rodenlager said:
If I remember right, it was 2 or 3 campden tabs, and an equal part metabi. Did not let it sit on any lees...transfered a few times just to get it off spent fruit matter. Used wyeast sweet mead yeast. Ironicly...it finished at 0.98 not so sweet in my book.

I'm currently harvesting more mulberries...worst case situation is make more wine and cut it.

You added twice the amount of sulfites than you needed. For a three gallon batch, three campden tablets is all you needed. Metabisulfite and campden tablets are the same thing.

Dont endanger another batch to combine with this one, if its just to much sulphite when you drink it just pour the bottle energetically into a nice decantuer and let it air out a little at room temp. If its sulfur it should blow off after you swirl it a few times. If it something worse then you didnt waste another batch combining them. WVMJ

Back