where to get a cheap brew kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhys333

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Beginner question here...
I've been using a 2 gal pot and need to step up for obvious reasons. I'm considering a 5 gal (20L) pot or even larger so that i can eventually transition to all-grain without buying more equipment. I livr in Canada, and the costs for either size are not cheap... unless i go with aluminum. Is aluminum okay, or should i shell out big bucks for a stainless steel pot?

Aluminum is ok. +1 on the turkey fryer setup. If you're planning on going all grain, skip the 5 gal pot and get something bigger.

I'm in minnesota. I know outdoor brewing is tough during the winter. I have a turkey fryer setup for when its warm and I have 5 gal pot for brewing 3 gal batches when its too cold or snowy out and I need to brew.

Might have to consider another option then... I can't brew outdoors in the winter here.

Why not get the turkey fryer and kettle anyway and do full boils when you can brew outdoors? Then, when the weather keeps you indoors, go back to partial boils on the stove. It would depend on your stove, but you might be able to pull off 3 or 4 gallon boils in the big pot. It would still be better than the 2 gallons you're limited to now.

I live in Minnesota and brew in my garage in the winter with a propane setup. I just open the front and back doors to create enough ventilation. It can be a bit chilly but not too bad. Just make sure you have plenty of fresh air coming in. Also get as big a kettle as you can afford. I have a 15 gallon and sometimes wish it was bigger. You can find 10 gallon stainless steel pots on eBay for around $65. I don't know what shipping would be. Aluminum is ok but you can't soak it in oxyclean or it will pit. I much prefer stainless.

Not sure where you are at in canada. But ontariobeerkegs.com has somr reasonably priced pots. Seem to be a good supplier as I'm told from a Canadian friend.

Roundeyesupply.com has a 72qt Stainless stock pot w/ lid for $55. It popped up on here a while ago and I'm looking to get it myself.

If you go to the website and search "stock pot" sort price lowest to highest it will come up. I believe it is labeled as "stainless stell stock pot with lid 45in" (actually cm though).

Back