Adding gelatin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Without thinking it through, I added Gelatin to my Cider before fermentation even started. I have never used it before and the directions just said to add "1 tsp per 6 gallons of must". So, I dumped it right in after dissolving in boiling water and cooling for one hour, and at the same time I pitched the yeast.

Is this going to affect the fermentation process or the clearing?

I hate having realizations and questions, AFTER doing something...

I know this is a couple of days late...and you probably have already determined that it shouldn't be an issue as the fermentation is already kicked in and working fine. ;)

I don't use clearing agents because I generally let time take care of clearing. After about a month in secondary, it tends to just clear on it's own depending on the yeast you use. In the future, I would use gelatin at the end of fermentation and only if it's cloudy. No need to add stuff if you don't have to and cloudy cider tastes just as good as clear cider.

Back