Do I need to keep a log,

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
for those that I give bottled beer to? Seems there are quite a few bottles out there that I gave out full. Do you guys have problems with your bottles returned? I have only had one bottle returned full with their beer and I had to drop a few hints to. Not that I expect the bottles to be returned with something in them, but c'mon sponges!!

Bringing my empties back is the only sure way to get more homebrew in the future, and all my friends know it, so I get most back. The ones who save the empties (bombers only) of commercial beers after they drink them get more homebrew. It's really a good cycle and recycling at its finest.

I have plenty of bottles, next time certainly that person would get one with the original label still on it instead of one with the label scrubbed off.

As in. if I relied on my friends and co-workers. My pipeline would be backed up. They suck at bringing any back. So. I buy my bottles already full of beer. Drink them, clean them. Re use them.

I re-use bottles from any craft beer I drink. I started with empties from the beverage center. I just asked the guy if I could get some empties for homebrewing. He gave me a case of SA empties for the deposit, 5c @, $1.20.

I have been harping on people to bring bottles back, and most are great about it. Also, those that hook me up with extra empties definitely get first crack at new batches.

BRAG: my bottle worries were temporarily put on hold when local craft brewery gave away all their bottles in preparation for going to cans. Scored 6 12 packs of never used bottles!

If you stress about getting your bottles back, you need more bottles. Drink more, or hit up your redemption center for some.

They are bottles for crying out loud.

I've never had a problem getting empties back. My friends know that returning them is the best way to get me to fill them with beer again. In fact, so many of my friends make a point of collecting bottles for me that I've got more than I know what to do with.

I recently realized I have a problem of having TOO MANY empty bottles downstairs, waiting to be cleaned and re-used. I buy enough craft beer that I'm not worried about getting the bottles back.

The exception, of course, are flip-top (Grolsch) bottles. I hoard those, and if you manage to convince me to give you one containing some homebrew, you'd better be sure to return it to me, or you're blacklisted. :)

And, I assume, there is a lecture prior to loaning those out about the importance of returning them? Perhaps a signed agreement spelling out their responsibility?

I recently realized I have a problem of having TOO MANY empty bottles downstairs, waiting to be cleaned and re-used. I buy enough craft beer that I'm not worried about getting the bottles back.

The exception, of course, are flip-top (Grolsch) bottles. I hoard those, and if you manage to convince me to give you one containing some homebrew, you'd better be sure to return it to me, or you're blacklisted. :)

Ditto. I accumulate a lot of bottles through normal consumption, although switching to mostly homebrew in about 2 weeks. I'll still mix in purchased craft brews of course.

I think the OP was referring to when he gives HB to fellow homebrewers and they dont necessarily reciprocate. Or even return the bottles.

Gah, I have many cases of bottles and only bottled one batch in the past almost year. And for some reason I still have problems recycling empties. And on top of that a friend brings me a few cleaned empty swing top bottles every now and again. I pour him beers in exchange.

And, I assume, there is a lecture prior to loaning those out about the importance of returning them? Perhaps a signed agreement spelling out their responsibility?

If someone lectured me about returning bottles before giving me their brew, I'd probably tell them to keep their f*cking beer. They are bottles....a commodity, holding something worth more than what it of itself is worth. Fretting about bottles isn't a stress I need in life.

Only exception are Grolsch-type bottles but I don't bother with those as they are a bigger pain in the ass to wash, store, fuss with the tops, etc. Their value seems to be more than the beer that is kept within them (Especially the ones with Grolsch beer in them) and thus not worth having around. I brew beer, not collect things made of glass.

Loaning out != giving them away. I loan things out that have value to me because I expect to get them back. If I don't expect I'll get them back, I don't loan them out.

Only exception are Grolsch-type bottles but I don't bother with those as they are a bigger pain in the ass to wash, store, fuss with the tops, etc.

How are flip-top bottles any harder to clean or store than regular bottles?

Soak in bucket of PBW. Dunk in sink of cold water, wipe off PBW residue with a sponge. Rinse inside with 'bottle jet' faucet attachment. Hang on bottling tree to dry.

When it's filling-time, I handle them the same as any other bottle. Stick 'em in the freezer for an hour, then sanitize the inside with a shot of StarSan from the Vinator, then fill from the racking cane connected to a keg.

If anything, they're easier to deal with because I don't have to mess with bottle caps and my bench capper. I just fill it, then flip the top closed. Done.

Question: why do you stick them in the freezer before sanitizing and bottling?

Bottling into cold bottles helps reduce foaming during the filling process. I don't usually bother when I actually bottle (infrequent), but its not a bad idea.

As Artimus said, it helps minimize foaming when filling from a keg. And to be honest, it doesn't take an hour. Even just 10 minutes is more than enough to get the bottles ice cold. I usually stick the bottles in the freezer, then set up the rest of my bottling items (drop the bottle filling cane in the bucket of sanitizer, dial back the pressure on the keg to 5 psi, get my chair and upside-down bucket into position, pour some StarSan in the Vinator, move the bottling tree into position, put on some music and pour myself a glass of homebrew). By the time I'm ready, the bottles are more than cold enough.

How are flip-top bottles any harder to clean or store than regular bottles?

Soak in bucket of PBW. Dunk in sink of cold water, wipe off PBW residue with a sponge. Rinse inside with 'bottle jet' faucet attachment. Hang on bottling tree to dry.

When it's filling-time, I handle them the same as any other bottle. Stick 'em in the freezer for an hour, then sanitize the inside with a shot of StarSan from the Vinator, then fill from the racking cane connected to a keg.

If anything, they're easier to deal with because I don't have to mess with bottle caps and my bench capper. I just fill it, then flip the top closed. Done.

Different size than typical pry off. Doesn't fit nicely into boxes I have that hold 12oz pry off, therefore storage is a pain. Doesn't fit into 6 pack containers. Throws off my nice 5 gallon = 2 cases of bottled beer ratio when I use them.

More expensive (brown flip tops are what 6-8 a piece?)

Top clanks around, will set itself on rim of bottle and impede cleaning, sanitation. Don't like how it flops around...seems like they are always in the way.

Gaskets need to be replaced sometimes....have to inspect gaskets for wear.

If I have to collecting bottles I like to drink the beer inside too. Grolsch is sh*t.

Granted, they are all minor things...when bottling I like to have a nice, consistent batch of 12oz to fill up and be done with it. That being said, fu*k bottling....kegging is the way to go.

Latest posts

Back