Temp probe/thermometer location

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Drake9

Reaction score
I am in the process of building a Ekeggle for BIAB. I went with the 3 port weld in setup from Bobby at Brewhardware for my ball valve, sight glass and thermometer. I will be using this keggle as a propane heated setup while I build the electric so I need a thermometer port. That port will be used as the temp probe port after I get the electric built. Eventually I see this being a recirculating setup too.

Now the question is where do I put the coupler for the thermometer and eventually the temp probe. My initial though is just below center to give me a good average of temp in the entire vessel. Problem is it might get in the way of the bag. So do I put it down low on the same level as the ball valve and eventually the element?

What have you done and would you do it different if you had to do again?

Thanks
Jake

As far as getting an accurate temperature measurement, before you recirculate you will need to stir manually regardless of the probe placement. Once you recirculate, probe placement is moot, as the recirculation should keep temperatures pretty uniform. You are correct that you want to keep the probe from interfering with the bag, so it makes sense to place it no higher than where the element will be. I favor as low in the kettle as you can get for the element while still having the element housing no lower than flush with the bottom of the vessel, so that the vessel can sit flat on a table.

I agree with jeffmeh though would caution you to not let the probe get too close to the element. Even though recirculating will make the temperatures relatively uniform, you will still have a hot zone immediately around the element. Get the probe too close, and you could find yourself with bad readings. You'd have to have the probe fairly close for this to have a noticable impact though, so as long as they're offset a few inches and you recirculate/stir, you should be golden.

Back