How much sugar per bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
Yes, I know, it is better to weigh the priming sugar and mix it with the beer in the bottling bucket and then proceed to bottle. And this is what I normally do.

However, on this occasion I am planning on adding some fruit to a batch, a 2.7 gallon fermenter, which is full, so I want to remove about half a gallon (5 bottles) to allow me to add fruit to it. Figured the easiest way would be to go straight to the bottle.

It is a Flanders Red, about 9 months old, and I want to keep it on the cake, so I don't want to transfer to a fresh fermenter.

How much sugar (plain old table sugar) do I need to add to a 12 ozs bottle to get about 2.5 to 3 volumes of CO2. I want to do this tomorrow, so I'm not going to get any carb drops either.

I'm figuring about 1.25 level teaspoons should get me about 2.5 volumes.

Table sugar? No. wouldnt go more than 3/4 tsp.Possibly 1/2. 1/2-3/4 tsp corn sugar is about right for most ales I think. So the style you have needs more carb than normal ales,but I think 3/4 tsp would be more than enough of table sugar and probably hitting over 3 volumes .

Back