RIS fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sok454

Reaction score
Put an RiS in fermenter last night. Set in a Rubbermaid of water. Water is at about 60 and 3/4 of way up fermenter. Air temp is 63. Is this about perfect temp? Using Nottingham.

I'd go a few degrees warmer. Keep it 64 or so and then ramp up to 70ish for the last 1/3 of fermentation.

Just checked it and I'm sitting right at 63-64 on both the water thermometer and the sticky that is on the fermenter.

You're at a fine temp for Nottingham. Keep it right there for the first week and then let it slowly rise on its own to 66-67*F to finish.

Notty likes a cooler environment than other ale yeasts. If you let it get above 68*F during active ferment (the first week or so), it will start producing some off-flavors, some of which may be rather funky.

I've used it successfully as low as 55*F. It ferments very clean when used at cooler temps.

Well heck if I can doi t lower than I will go ahead as drop more ice bottles. We are mild as far as outside temp right now so its nice to not have a steam box for a house!
Saw some. Activity in the airlock too today. Woo hoo. Now if I wouldn't have mistakingly doubled the hops!

Well heck if I can doi t lower than I will go ahead as drop more ice bottles.

That might not be the best of ideas. Dropping the temps in the middle of fermentation is always risky business. Sometimes it works out OK, sometimes the yeast quit early. I think it's better to say that you "could have" fermented cooler. Do it next time. For now, I'd suggest keeping the temps the same or slightly increasing until it's done.

Ha. We'll see what it tastes like. It'll go from a RIS to a IIPA.. At 11%.

GuldTuborg said:
That might not be the best of ideas. Dropping the temps in the middle of fermentation is always risky business. Sometimes it works out OK, sometimes the yeast quit early. I think it's better to say that you "could have" fermented cooler. Do it next time. For now, I'd suggest keeping the temps the same or slightly increasing until it's done.

I decided not to throw more ice in it. Leave it at the 62-3 range. Seems to be working.

I decided not to throw more ice in it. Leave it at the 62-3 range. Seems to be working.

Good call. If you're going to ferment cooler, it's best to start there (or a few degrees under). I'd not try to cool it down now.

What was your OG and how many packets did you pitch? Did you rehydrate the yeast?

Well there in lies the problem.... how much yeast I used...

I went to Brewers Friend and figured I'd make a starter... so I made a 1L starter on Thursday... brewed on Saturday.... I rehydrated the yeast to make the starter... but from what I've been told you dn't really want to make a starter with dry yeast...

OG was about 1.115. I checked it today and its bubbling like crazy... so when I get home I'm going to be adding a blow off tube... I assume I'll need to throw in some additional yeast to push it to FG in a week or so. I have some S-05 i may throw in since it finishes pretty clean and neutral. Any tips?

If you rehydrated in warm tap water first and then later made a starter, you should be OK. The reason for not dumping a packet of dry yeast into starter wort (or 5 gallons of recipe wort) has to do with dry yeast needing to rebuild their cells walls. They do that much better in warm tap water than in wort.

With an 1.115 OG, you would have been good with 2 packs of rehydrated Notty. One pack rehydrated and put into a 1L starter is an under-pitch.

However, if it's now going strong enough that you're considering a blow-off tube, I'd stay the course and not add any additional yeast.

Yeah I did the usual rehydration of 95-105 water...and let it sit for 20-30 minutes then pitched into the starter. The estimate from brewers friend was I'd be right near the pitching rate... it definitely seemed to do well in the starter as when I got close I could hear it bubbling away!.... we'll see though...

How do you do your blow off tubes in a bucket fermenter?

How do you do your blow off tubes in a bucket fermenter?

Lol. I just had to do one Sunday night. I remove the airlock and then take a length of sanitized 3/8" vinyl tubing and stick it into the airlock hole. The other end goes into a bucket with Star San covering the other end.

Ok so it is that easy... just wanted to make sure... i've neer had to do one...but with the way this one was going this morning I think tonight I will be making one! I assume some of the misc. tubing I have will work. and I have the bucket already next door...atleast if it blows while I'm at work its already in a big vat of water to absorb most of the blow off.

Pics of my blow off tube.

image-2563835975.jpg

image-3828008152.jpg

May I suggest that you use Star San in the blow-off bucket just to be safe?

May I suggest that you use Star San in the blow-off bucket just to be safe?

With the way the hose is just stuck in the hole it doesn't look like there is any danger of sucking anything back up the blow off tube, although I agree, better safe than sorry.

That's what i actually put in the bucket. Well see how it looks tomorrow. Interested to get another sample from it.

Appeared to stall so I took a reading. 1.115 to 1.046 in 4.5 days. Pitched some more yeast to finish it.

image-2420304133.jpg

image-1063144119.jpg

Back