Fermented without the first airlock bubble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luckyjsw

Reaction score
Hi there,
I just started an IPA beer in the 6.5 gallon fermenting bucket from Midwest Supply (it does not have a rubber grommet in the lid). I placed an airlock, and firmly placed the lid all the way on with light taps from a hammer.

OG was 1.064. Constant temp in brewing area is 78 degrees F.

Never saw one single bubble in airlock, tho I watched carefully and often. Still no bubbles after 3 days, I pitched another dose of dry yeast, Safale S-04. When I opened to add new yeast, there was some bubble crud on the sides of the bucket above the liquid line, I tested SG and it was 1.016!

Did complete fermentation take place? How did it do that with virtually NO bubbles escaping thru airlock, and lid hammered down tight?

I have made a few batches in the past in glass carboys and never had this happen. Any ideas/advice?

How did it ferment without bubbles? You weren't completely sealed. Either the lid wasn't sealed or the airlock wasn't sealed.

This is a common experience with people using buckets. The lid doesn't quite seal which allows CO2 to exit at that point instead of through the airlock.

Moral of the story: if you're sealed, you'll get bubbling. If you're not, you won't.

You said yourself that there was no rubber grommet in the lid. My bucket from Midwest supply did come with the rubber grommet, and when I fermented in it for the first time a couple of weeks ago I did get plenty of airlock activity. I'm guessing that the co2 escaped around the stem of your airlock rather than through the airlock itself. If it bothers you enough you could probably measure the hole and find a grommet that will fit in it in your local hardware store for just a few cents. I think I would probably take my airlock with me as well to make sure it fits snugly in the grommet you choose.

Buckets are also notorious for not sealing well around the lid even when you tap it down. Mine fortunately did seal, but apparently that's not guaranteed by any means. It doesn't really matter that much in the end though. You still made beer.

S04 is a vigorous and fast fermenter. At an ambient temperature of 78°F the fermentation could have been over during the first might.

To be clear: the bucket from Midwest Supply DID have a small grommet in the lid where my airlock fit snugly. The lid itself did not have a large red rubber grommet encircling the entire outer edge of the lid. After reading these answers (thanks) I believe there is no way to seal this bucket lid without sealing grommet.

Going by the OG= 1.064 and SG now= 1.016, do you think fermentation is done? (Still no bubbles in airlock)?

Don't worry about bubbles! Trust your hydrometer. You can also taste the sample, or just look inside the pail. Does it look messy?*

Wait a day or two and take another reading. It may go down even more. Or just wait regardless (most of us give it a couple weeks).

*This won't tell you if it is finished, but will let you know it has been bubbling inside.

Let it sit for a while longer before you take another SG reading. Could be done but you won't want to bottle until the suspended sediment has time to drop out.

Back