Fermentation Won’t Start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AMcBrews

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I’m stumped. I’m fairly new to all-grain, but I don’t see where I have gone wrong with this batch. Brew day went well, hit all my numbers, chilled my wort to about 70, and pitched two packs of S-04 (did not rehydrate). I put on my Brewjacket and I was holding the temp to 68. I have a Tilt in the wort, and after 4 days, I don’t have any activity. No krausen, no bubbles, no change in gravity.
I picked up two more packets of S-04 on Day 4, rehydrated per the instructions, and pitched the slurry.
Now I’m starting Day 2 after repitching, and I still don’t see any activity.
Is there something I could have done wrong during the brew? Low Ph? No fermentable sugars? My OG was spot on at 1.057, Mashed at 153, I did add Lactose toward the end of the boil, but that was already calculated into the recipe.
I have to toss a batch,

I’m stumped. I’m fairly new to all-grain, but I don’t see where I have gone wrong with this batch. Brew day went well, hit all my numbers, chilled my wort to about 70, and pitched two packs of S-04 (did not rehydrate). I put on my Brewjacket and I was holding the temp to 68. I have a Tilt in the wort, and after 4 days, I don’t have any activity. No krausen, no bubbles, no change in gravity.
I picked up two more packets of S-04 on Day 4, rehydrated per the instructions, and pitched the slurry.
Now I’m starting Day 2 after repitching, and I still don’t see any activity.
Is there something I could have done wrong during the brew? Low Ph? No fermentable sugars? My OG was spot on at 1.057, Mashed at 153, I did add Lactose toward the end of the boil, but that was already calculated into the recipe.
I have to toss a batch,
Is there any debris on the sides of the fermenter?

I don’t think so, definitely not towards the top of the carboy. My Coolzone wraps around the carboy, so I can’t see through the sides, only from the top.

The only thing I can plausibly think is your tilt isn’t working and the beer completely fermented already. If you hit your og, I can’t imagine you pitched 4 completely dead packs of US-04. I would move your wrap and look for a sign that a krausen already rose and dropped. Then I’d take a reading with a hydrometer either way

Last edited:
Did you buy all 4 packs of S-04 at the same time and did you notice what the expiration dates were? I agree it would be surprising if all 4 packs were dead but maybe the supplier mishandled them badly. I'd take a gravity reading and if there really is no movement buy new yeast and pitch it. I wouldn't chuck the batch yet.

In all my years of using S04 I never had a failed fermentation using Fermentis' pitch rate guidance.
Indeed, it typically is quite aggressive, especially if run much warmer than 65°F wort temperature.
And four packs? That's a real eyebrow raiser right there.

I would certainly ignore the Tilt and pull at least a refract sample and use an appropriate adjustment calculator...

Cheers!

"Once you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth. "

It Looks like my Tilt was leading me astray. I pulled a quick sample on my refractometer, and it has fermented out. Tasted pretty good too.
When I started this batch I did a manual calibration of the Tilt to the value I had from my hydrometer. That must have sent it into the weeds. I recalibrated in water, sanitized it and tossed it back in. Now all is well. I've got the cooling jacket back on. I'll give it another couple of days, then it goes into secondary with some cherry puree.

Thanks for your help guys. I was over complicating my life.

Latest posts

Back