Fermentation way behind schedule.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewsile

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have a little question about a bayer that takes its time to ferment.
To sum it up:
I wanted to try fermenting under pressure (1,3bar) because I read that would speed up the process a little without having an impact on the final taste.
The recipe says:
5 days at 10 degree
1 at 13
1 at 17
1 at 19
7 at 5 (cold crash)

I had good OG: 1,054 and 10 degrees at day one. During the first few days I didn't notice much activity and it was on the 6th day when I cranked the temp up to 13 that it started to produce gases and moving around. I acted according to the schedule but now I am at day 10 and still at 19 degrees, the fermentation hasn't stopped yet (it's moving a lot in the tank) and my gravity is at 1,018 (FG should be 1,013). I didn't start the cold crash because I read that it should be done when the fermentation is finished. I now have to travel for 3 days so I won't be available at home (but I can just the temp) and I wonder if it is really good to keep it so long at 19 degrees or should I instead start the cold crash.
What do you think?

What type of yeast did you pitch? It's generally best to pitch at the same temp you want to ferment at, and just leave it at that temp until it's done. Definitely don't cold crash until it's done fermenting. It won't hurt to let it hang out at 19C for a while.

You are fermenting at 18.8 psi, which is a bit high, and yet you followed a lager fermentation temperature regime. When you ferment at pressure, progress is slower, so typically you also ferment at a higher temperature than you would at atmospheric pressure. This is because pressure suppresses yeast esters, allowing you to ferment warmer without ester production. And warmer = faster.

But you kept it relatively cold. I hope it's lager yeast? If it's ale yeast, then it's definitely out of its comfort zone.

You started at 10C / 50F for five days. That's lager territory. The next steps up to 13C / 55F, then 17C / 63F are fine, but the pace has been set already. The present temp, 19C / 66F, is perfectly fine while it's under pressure, regardless of the yeast variety.

Just be patient and wait it out. There is no point whatsoever in dropping the temps until it's done fermenting. Yeast is not interested in a printed schedule.

Pressure makes fermentation go slower not faster. Assuming you are using a lager yeast you should pitch at a temperature between 10-12°C and then let it rise immediately as soon as activity is detected and let it reach a temperature of 16-18°C. It's the increase in temperature that actually makes fermentation go faster, if you delay the increase in temperature for no reason than all you've done is made your fermentation slower and increased the risk of having a stalled fermentation.

Sorry for the late answer, I think I messed up with the settings, I didn't get any email saying that you replied.

I pitched at 10 degree C with a SafLager S-23.

Ok so if I sum it up:
- Fermenting under pressure is slower but it allows to ferment at higher temp without production of ester and therefore speeds up the process. Since I used the same temp it actually slowed down my fermentation.
Question:
How do you adapt the temperature schedule to fermentation under pressure?
What is a good pressure for fermenting?

- I followed a pre-constructed schedule but should have followed my yeast activity instead. Since the fermentation was slower due to the pressure, I should have waited to see yeast activity to raise the temp to 13, 17 and 19 degrees C. Is that right?

- Better wait until fermentation is done before cold crashing, even if it takes longer than planned.

Now quick update on this batch:
I followed my guts (that were later confirmed by your comments) and let it ferment while I was away. When I came back the SG was at 1,015. I waited 2 more days at the same SG and started the cold crash.
I took a little sample yesterday and I am very pleased with the result :D.
Do you have any advice for the cold crash? the recipe says 7 days at 5 degrees, but can I go colder? Can I increase the pressure to carbonate?

Latest posts

Back