Fermentation timing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ashton Davis

Reaction score
I brewed a Tripel last weekend (Saturday) OG 1.076, and I store the fermenter in my closet on campus, but the school just moved all classes online for the next month and I have no reason to stay with the fermenter anymore. I was originally going to let it go 3 weeks in the primary before bottling since I would be back from spring break to do that, but they're saying classes won't resume for another 5 weeks. Is it best just to leave it in the primary for the full 5 weeks or should I transfer it to a "secondary" (I only have plastic buckets...) prematurely within the next couple of days? The gravity is currently at 1.008

Last edited:
Just leave it where it is. Make sure the airlock is filled. You can leave it in the Primary for several months without any worries.

No need to secondary. There are a lot of good arguments why you should not use a secondary for most beers.

Back