Fermentation stopped day 6/10

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NightFlight

Reaction score
Using an extract kit, calls for 1KG dextrose in addition to the LME. <- instruction link

My concern is the Co2 production just hard stopped without slowdown overnight, whereas the previous days all had 5-8 seconds between "airlock burps". I think I had it running more or less consistently at 24C, using my half-bath as a warmer room. I can try and 'wake it' with a belt. Thoughts? I guess I could taste it using my wine thief.

I'm supposed to toss in the hop sachet and let it sit 3 more days.

This was a bag kit and I accidentally opened the LME side to read the instructions. As a result I got it going in haste and forgot to get the OG. Should I just take FG, or without an OG is it pointless?

Well, its still a hair sweet. SG is at ~1.014 - so not done. I found the issue. Plastic lid cracked at the bung hole.

... and I've been introduced to secondary fermentation - into the carboy it went.

Do I have to watch for light exposure from household lighting?

Last edited:
Well, its still a hair sweet. SG is at ~1.014 - so not done. I found the issue. Plastic lid cracked at the bung hole.

Not a problem unless you have a piece missing. At this point there is plenty of CO2 going out to keep the air from rushing in.

... and I've been introduced to secondary fermentation - into the carboy it went.

And now you did introduce oxygen. Not likely a problem but secondary doesn't solve many problems and it can create some.

Do I have to watch for light exposure from household lighting?

Yes. It isn't going to have much UV in the household lighting but you prefer to not have any.

Ok, the worst part is I dropped fermentation lock in when I had the lid off. The lock and water both went in! Whoops. If this batch makes it without contamination, it will be a miracle brew. LOL

Latest posts

Back