Fermentation Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I am new to homebrewing. I've only brewed 3 extract batches so far: 2 3 gallon blondes and a 5 gallon porter. I've been learning so much from trial and error. I will likely be sticking to 3 gallon batches because they are much easier to bottle.

I have a question about fermentation for my porter. The first 3 days there was tons of activity- I learned I needed a blowoff valve because the airlock overflowed on Day 1. I used Mangrove Jack's M42 for the vanilla porter recipe. After the first 3 days there wasn't much activity. On Day 4, I put in the fresh vanilla and there was some CO2 Activity.

I will be going on vacation for a week and my porter will stay in fermentation for 2 and a half weeks or so. The recipe recommends two weeks in secondary fermentation. I only used a primary.

Is it okay to leave the porter in fermentation for an additional 3-5 days?

Thanks again!

I never even start my fg measurements before 14 days, on a porter or other heavier beer, I'll wait 3 weeks minimum.

yeast autolysis is something big brewers worry about because of the pressure in vats that have hundreds or thousands of gallons pressing on the cake, in homebrewing it is not a concern.

depending on the style, you can safely leave a beer in the primary for anywhere from 6 weeks to 3 months.

edit: the only issue here is that you added the vanilla already, next time calculate your vanilla or other "dryhop/spice" additions backward from when you bottle, not forward from when fermentation starts.

I will be going on vacation for a week and my porter will stay in fermentation for 2 and a half weeks or so. The recipe recommends two weeks in secondary fermentation. I only used a primary.

Is it okay to leave the porter in fermentation for an additional 3-5 days?

Your porter would do fine in the primary fermenter for 2 1/2 months or longer. No need for secondary and no rush. The porter will likely be better flavored for drinking 3 months after bottling than it will in 3 weeks.

Three to five extra days is fine as long as the temperature stays stable. Your beer can actually stay on the yeast safely for three to five weeks if the temperatures are cool after the majority of fermentation is complete.

The temperature is the only tricky part for me. I live in a warm climate and have to run the AC most of the time. I've been keeping it at 22-23, but the guidelines mention for this yeast that it should be 16-22. Hopefully, it doesn't produce any off flavors.

edit: the only issue here is that you added the vanilla already, next time calculate your vanilla or other "dryhop/spice" additions backward from when you bottle, not forward from when fermentation starts.

That's a good tip! I probably should have thought of that before I added the vanilla. As far as adding "dry/hop" spice, when do you recommend adding it if you will ferment it for two weeks?

Your porter would do fine in the primary fermenter for 2 1/2 months or longer. No need for secondary and no rush. The porter will likely be better flavored for drinking 3 months after bottling than it will in 3 weeks.

That's great to here about the secondary and the porter being able to have more time in fermentation. I haven't autosiphoned yet so I'm a bit nervous about bottling it let alone using a secondary fermentation vessel.

The temperature is the only tricky part for me. I live in a warm climate and have to run the AC most of the time. I've been keeping it at 22-23, but the guidelines mention for this yeast that it should be 16-22. Hopefully, it doesn't produce any off flavors.

The first 3 to 5 days is when the temperature is critical for avoiding off flavors. Once the fermentation slows down the beer can warm (within reason) without creating off flavors.

http://www.brewgeeks.com/the-life-cycle-of-yeast.html

for temperature control, a big cement bucket with water and some ice bottles or such works fine to lose a few degrees and have a heat dump for the beer.

With dryhop, 3-5 days before bottling is the general idea.

Honestly, unless you do a big fruit addition, there is really no point in doing secondary in homebrewing, just siphon on top of the sugar into the bottling bucket when ready to bottle.

Back