fermentation fridge problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Benedetto

Reaction score
I got a fermentation fridge that doesn't get cold (used to work until recently), and there is no air flowing through the inside. If i plug it in, I can hear a hum, but no air movement. If i put my hand RIGHT NEXT to the vent on the inside of the freezer I feel a little cold, but no air flow. The light turns on when the door's open.
I took off the back panel, plugged it in again and the hum I hear is a fan blowing at the compressor, but it seems like the compressor itself doesn't switch on.
Here's my amateur diagnosis. See if you agree: The fridge is getting power on account of the light and the cooling fan working. The compressor not turning on and the lack of airflow inside the unit indicate a bad switch that controls the compressor and airflow. Does that sound right?
Because everything is DC on the inside I have no idea what I'm looking at. White red and green wires, I presume the green is ground. But everything is not the typical AC stuff I work with in my house.
Any ideas? Or how to find the switch controlling the compressor?

Please and thank you!

Check the evaporator coil fan. It will be in the freezer, behind the back panel that covers the evaporator coils. If it is not working, it will not circulate the air inside of the refrigerator. With this panel off, you should also be able tell whether or not the coils are cooling at all (which will tell you in the compressor is running).

Back