Fermentation chamber freezer! Am I doing it right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

youngson616

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hey y'all

I just got my fermentation station completed for the most part. What it consists currently is a 7 cu. deep freezer, thermo wrap, and inkbird temp controller. I put a fresh batch of 5 gal hefeweizen in a 6.5 gal carboy thats sitting in there. As far as the probe goes, I taped it on the side of the carboy covered with a napkin and a small ziplock bag. What do you think? Also i did omega yeast, think i should should higher than 66 degrees for a mid range flavor?

Attachments

• 20220605_214239.jpg
    20220605_214239.jpg
    768.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20220605_214247.jpg
    20220605_214247.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220605_214258.jpg
    20220605_214258.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220605_214308.jpg
    20220605_214308.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
fwiw, the center of the recommended running temperature ranges for both Oly-21 and -22 (Omega's Hefe strains) is ~69°F. I think I'd give that a try if this is the first time use for you.

Also, you really should use much more substantial insulation over your temperature sensor to reduce the effects of chamber temperature on your "beer temperature" reading. I use the same measuring technique (as I have proven to my own satisfaction that it is equivalent to using thermowells - and without the sanitation issue) but the key is good coupling to the fermentor and excellent isolation from chamber temps. I use a ~4" square of 1" thick closed cell foam over my probes...

Cheers!

fwiw, the center of the recommended running temperature ranges for both Oly-21 and -22 (Omega's Hefe strains) is ~69°F. I think I'd give that a try if this is the first time use for you...

Cheers!
I had just bumped it to 68 before I saw this. 66 seemed too cool. I feel better about this now

Also, you really should use much more substantial insulation over your temperature sensor to reduce the effects of chamber temperature on your "beer temperature" reading. I use the same measuring technique (as I have proven to my own satisfaction that it is equivalent to using thermowells - and without the sanitation issue) but the key is good coupling to the fermentor and excellent isolation from chamber temps. I use a ~4" square of 1" thick closed cell foam over my probes...

Cheers!
Thanks for the tip - i will keep an eye on it. From what I can tell so far is the probe is doing a good job - within 1 degree of actual fermenter temp, and im good with that. Confirmed by looking at thermometer stuck on side of carboy. I taped the probe really good behind the paper towel and sandwich bag to hopefully keep all outside temps away

Back