I like this time at night on HBT

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
While I was chasing and catching chickens today, err, yesterday, it did cross my mind, where are my gloves? The massive amounts of blood, however, came not from the bites and scratches, but using the metal cutters to cut the wire. That **** is sharp.

It's 6:19 AM and look I am still awake. Emjay, thanks so much for your advice after I private messaged you. I will have a talk with my doc about the stuff we talked about. Get this insomnia thing fixed. Yes, a balance of getting the doses right. I think you were spot on.

Oh, and I am in pain, lots of pain. The chicken "trailer" which assumes it has wheels, does not have it's wheels yet. Can't add the wheels until chickens big enough to defend themselves from snakes as wheels would have to allow for a gap at the bottom. So, pushing this probably 500 pound monstrosity down the driveway was not easy. Hubby stood by as my cheerleader, come on!! Just 4 more feet, then, come on, just 2 more feet!! Over and over this went on until I has pushed it to the spot hubby wanted it. The build started off looking nice but towards the end, it was who gives a ****, just finish this *****! And, ahhh, no more chickens on my porch. I never told hubby it was okay to bring home chickens still in their eggs. I am traumatized by the experience in it's entirely.

BL even if you don't sell the eggs just wait until you have an abundance of fresh laid eggs. It's a great feeling. Fresh eggs are great for barter items too. I think you can get more out of them in a trade than the cash value. I had a neighbor who did this and always got great stuff for his eggs.

I have a very strong and independent wife. That is one of the things I love about her. When her husband died they owned a rather large business together and like most people tied all of their money up into it. When he died she was left with a ton of money but no way to get to it and it was stuck that way for a year or more. She was to proud to ask for help but had a bunch of chickens. She sold the eggs and ate the non layers as they were born. Pretty much those chickens saved her bacon.

And the weird thing is she still enjoys eating chicken:drunk:

so, since there are moderators in here maybe I can get some help. I use the app 99.9% of the time and it has become useless. why doesn't the regular app allow me to do anything but view threads?? cannot reply, see messages, see subscribed, login/out...it has somehow become worse than the beta, which I thought was damn near impossible. I have reinstalled only to have no change, anyone else having this trouble??

Post your question in the Feedback forum and get a quick answer. I don't use the app so I don't have anything useful to say about it.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f22/

I love that little snifter with the red lettering. My moms headed over this year, I'm going to have her keep an eye out for any unique glassware.

I love that one too! I was really enjoying it last night. It's great for pouring small amounts out of my keezer. The shape is really cool. It's not the best quality of glass, as it has an imperfection in the glass. I don't mind, though.

Brewing disaster today. Cheap plastic spigot broke off my bottling bucket. Was a nice IPA. Was 3 gallons, now about 1.5 gallons. Except maybe not even that, happened when I went to move it. I had an empty clean but not sanitized fermenter nearby and let it pour into that. What hadn't already poured onto the floor. Yes, all spigots should be stainless steel, not plastic. Learned my lesson.

Also learned from the chicken forum that I don't have to dry the spent grain to feed it to my chickens. Just freeze it in smaller amounts, thaw and give them just enough to eat in a day, so it won't get moldy.

Sometimes I wish I had chickens to feed spent grain. I throw it in the compost pile which is great and all but after a few days the odor is horrendous.

Last batch I dried got snowed on. So I put it in my food drier and well the wife was a little less than pleased with that mess.

Thinking I am going to build a drying rack made out of a fine screen.

Sorry about your beer Bobbi. I looked at those cheap plastic valves and replaced them just because I worried about them

Hello everyone! I hope you're all doing well this evening.

Bobbi, sorry about the spigot and the loss of your beer. It sucks when that happens. Once I had a racking hose come off of my racking cane while I was transferring to the bottle bucket. It flopped around like a pressurized fire hose. There was at least a gallon of beer shot all over the kitchen before I got to it. The best lessons learned are those learned the hardest!

I just finished designing a recipe of which I'll brew this Saturday. It's a pale ale that I'm calling Cactus Nectar. It will be hopped with Simcoe and Amarillo to about 46 IBU's. Bittering, flavor, and aroma additions only with no dry hop. It has just a tiny amount of honey malt in the grain bill, and it will also get some Mexican cactus candy thrown in during the last 15 minutes of the boil. I'll be using a clean Chico strain of yeast to ferment it. It should be very light in color, dry, and very quaffable at about 4.7%. It's basically going to be my lawnmower beer for this year.

You know I put on my head phones while bottling and brewing and will hear a song that I want to post in here but I never remember what it is when I get a chance to post. I know I have listened to Megadeath and Ramstien while brewing and enjoyed them. But I also enjoy Johnny Cash and such.

I guess while brewing there is no bad music really. Not to mention I drink a few while I brew and with the headphones on it kind of transports me into the music. Weird huh

Yup, that's right!

Here's a calculator for you; http://www.brewersfriend.com/hydrometer-temp/

Thanks for that link! It's okay about the beer, I just finished 5 gallons of a new IPA, started with an mini-mash extract kit but mixed in some of the hops from my freezer. 6 different hops in it. A super hoppy IPA, one of my favorite things. And even did a gravity reading this time and looks like I hit it perfectly! The alcohol content on this one will be higher than my norm.

Happy brew day dance!!

:ban:

Varmintman said:
Been trying to decide if I should brew tonight. Then I noticed I was getting things ready like milling the grain and such so I guess it is brew night now :mug:

You could always just overnight the mash. I've done that many times, it makes the brew day a breeze in the morning, and I get a 3-5% increase in efficiency.

You could always just overnight the mash. I've done that many times, it makes the brew day a breeze in the morning, and I get a 3-5% increase in efficiency.

I thought about doing that but I got plenty I can do while it is mashing and I have to go into town tomorrow so brewing during the day is out. Man I do not enjoy going into town to much

You know I put on my head phones while bottling and brewing and will hear a song that I want to post in here but I never remember what it is when I get a chance to post. I know I have listened to Megadeath and Ramstien while brewing and enjoyed them. But I also enjoy Johnny Cash and such.

I guess while brewing there is no bad music really. Not to mention I drink a few while I brew and with the headphones on it kind of transports me into the music. Weird huh

I'll throw some Johnny Cash up there for you then. Here he explains why he's the man in black, and not the man wearing rainbow.

For your late nite soundtrack, Johnny Cash...

Last edited by a moderator:
I sure enjoy his story telling. And it seems every song is a story :mug:

This lady has one of the best voices I know. Her music makes me feel like I am in Ireland.

I sure enjoy his story telling. And it seems every song is a story :mug:

This lady has one of the best voices I know. Her music makes me feel like I am in Ireland.

Video Link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIghrxxhQYs

My high school English lit teacher absolutely loved her. Called her one of his "angels" (or something like that) along with Jewel and Sarah McLachlan.

It was the only physical classroom in the whole school of about 1600 students (other English Lit classes by other teachers had normal classrooms) that didn't have desks but rather couches. And he frequently played their music... if I never have to hear Greensleeves or The Lady of Shalott ever again, I'd be more than happy.

I invariably fell asleep pretty much every single day in that class.

Holy extra pages. Here I was thinking there was only one more post before I nodded off.

For those of you not keeping up with The Doors this is the latest Doors song. What, like 40 years in the making?(I blame john) About halfway through Jim Morrison correctly predicts the future of music...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUULBlDcju4&feature=youtu.be
Not bad music, but the video was a little disturbing.

...It's actually pretty much the safest illicit substance there is. And yes, those illusions happen without chemicals (more accurately, without exogenous chemicals), and the so-called "flashbacks" are thought to really just be these natural occurrences that people never really noticed previously, and after the chemical experience, are better able to recognize it and associate the experience with those prior, intentional experiences, thus believing them to be CAUSED by them.

However, anybody who takes it for the visual effects is pretty much an idiot. As I said previously, they are really only secondary. They have a profound (if I could describe it in only one word, profound would definitely be it!) impact on the way you think and your thought processes, often facilitating a greater understanding of certain things and a greater capacity for seeing the relationships between various concepts. It's notoriously difficult to describe to the uninitiated, as it's very much a different "reality" (in fact on first use, many people even have a hard time seeing how it's even possible to go back after so "unlocking" the mind) but I really think it's the one thing humanity could benefit from if most (mentally capable and mature) people even just tried it once. There's a reason Steve Jobs (among many other very successful people) described it as possibly the single most important experience in his life...
Thank you for the explanation. It's interesting to have someones opinion who is not a drug addict.

...The effects are only poorly understood, but a major way it's thought to work the way it does is to disable "filters" the brain puts in place in early childhood in order to be able to focus just what the brain thinks is important for survival.

As for "bad trips", the major causative factor is excessive dosage. Modern doses in single-serving units are fine for almost everybody. Other, "natural" psychedelics (Iike mushrooms) are more likely to cause problems because strength can vary quite a bit without anybody intending it or being able to detect it. I deal with depression and anxiety, sometimes quite severe, but even I never had a major problem (only one bad trip on anything, which was an EXCESSIVE amount of mushrooms), so most people should be fine. For perspective, I could never handle weed at all; in fact, it's the only thing I COULDN'T handle, and causes me a great deal of psychological distress. The other possible contributing factors are what are referred to as "set and setting" - that means going into the experience with a positive (mind)set, and staying within a setting that you can decently control, to minimize the chances of being overwhelmed by things that could affect your mindset in a negative manner. A buddy who can help you keep calm and positive is really a must for many people, and really anybody without prior experience.

Also relating to the mindset part, if you're doing it for the funky sensory effects, you're doing it for the wrong reasons... it's really just like a voyage to the center of your mind and psyche, and not everybody likes evrrythonh they find. It really serves to "amplify" everything in your mind. So if you're not mature enough or otherwise unprepared, there is certainly a possibility it will become overwhelming. It's a tool that needs to be given immense respect...
That would make sense. You can also address those filters selectively through meditation. Though most people don't choose to develop the skill to do so...........Have I mentioned lately that I'm abnormal?

You know Emjay, I like talking to you. As far as I can tell, you are almost my exact cognitive opposite. It's fascinating.

If that last post of mine wasn't music. I don't know what is.'
Wow Dan. Linkin Park? I thought that was fairly well outside of your musical field of interest.

I should post this on the hippy thread but going to post here. Might have already
Haha, I'm pretty sure I posted that at least once.

Wort temp 100 degrees, hydrometer says 1050. I'm supposed to be at 1.056. Is it right?
Hey, your first hydrometer reading. Congratulations! :ban:
My high school English lit teacher absolutely loved her. Called her one of his "angels" (or something like that) along with Jewel and Sarah McLachlan.

It was the only physical classroom in the whole school of about 1600 students (other English Lit classes by other teachers had normal classrooms) that didn't have desks but rather couches. And he frequently played their music... if I never have to hear Greensleeves or The Lady of Shalott ever again, I'd be more than happy.

I invariably fell asleep pretty much every single day in that class.
Must not embed Greensleeves in thread... It would not be nice. No, no, it wouldn't...

You know Emjay, I like talking to you. As far as I can tell, you are almost my exact cognitive opposite. It's fascinating.

Likewise, but I'm not sure what you mean by cognitive opposite.

Must not embed Greensleeves in thread... It would not be nice. No, no, it wouldn't...

Be my guest! I pretty much exclusively use the app, so nothing is embedded for me. ;)

Also, you're not far off on the meditation bit. Brain scans have demonstrated that the brain is activated in pretty much the exact same areas that you see activated in Buddhist monks with decades of extensive meditation experience.

I know the first song most kids learned to play on the guitar was Smoke On The Water but I learned Greensleeves and it is to this day one of my favorite songs.

About a year ago I bought new hoses for my set up and tonight I replaced them. Yup I have been using the first hoses that I bought when I started to brew. But they have got kind of loose and I have had to trim them so many times they are pretty short now.

I know the first song most kids learned to play on the guitar was Smoke On The Water but I learned Greensleeves and it is to this day one of my favorite songs.

Yup! I can relate to that! Don't forget Iron Man!

Here's a good laugh for you all. This is me in 1988...

1988 me.jpg

Likewise, but I'm not sure what you mean by cognitive opposite.

Be my guest! I pretty much exclusively use the app, so nothing is embedded for me. ;)
What I mean is that you do not think or believe in any way that is the same as I do. The severity of the contrast in perspectives makes it much more interesting to talk to you then it would be to talk to someone with a very similar perspective.

You also reminded me of several things I can do from inside my own head that I had half forgotten about. I have been sitting around at some level of miserable for a long time when I didn't have to. I did some real meditation last night for the first time in probably a year. Not something to dampen the ache in my hands, or to restore alertness when I'm falling asleep at work and it's to late in the day to have the caffeine. Just a basic centering exercise. One that re-balances you mentally and emotionally. Baby land meditation stuff. I feel better today then I have in months.

I do like the song very much. :)

Ok so what can go wrong. I hit all my temps and volumes and got the pot out heating up to a boil. Enjoying my first brew of the night waiting for the boil.
Very little that will make it turn out as anything other then beer. Happy brew day dance. :ban:

What I mean is that you do not think or believe in any way that is the same as I do. The severity of the contrast in perspectives makes it much more interesting to talk to you then it would be to talk to someone with a very similar perspective.

You also reminded me of several things I can do from inside my own head that I had half forgotten about. I have been sitting around at some level of miserable for a long time when I didn't have to. I did some real meditation last night for the first time in probably a year. Not something to dampen the ache in my hands, or to restore alertness when I'm falling asleep at work and it's to late in the day to have the caffeine. Just a basic centering exercise. One that re-balances you mentally and emotionally. Baby land meditation stuff. I feel better today then I have in months.

I do like the song very much. :)
The King's Singer - Greensleeves

That sounds just like what I need LG. I think I've forgotten how to relax constructively. Are there books, videos on meditation? Do you have any recommendations?

In meditation, you have to stop thinking to start thinking. Let your mind go where it may, not towards the things you think you should be thinking about, but just wherever it leads. Sorry, wish I could help more. :cross:

That sounds just like what I need LG. I think I've forgotten how to relax constructively. Are there books, videos on meditation? Do you have any recommendations?
To be honest, I've picked up bits and pieces from so many sources over the last 18 years or so that I really couldn't tell you where most of it came from.

A technique I've found useful is a kind of candle meditation. You sit or lay however is comfortable for you. Then imagine a candle in your mind. Then relax your muscles. It's usually easiest to do this one muscle group at a time, you will probably need to repeat the process a few times as you start distracting yourself. Each time something crosses your mind you feed it into the flame of the candle. Letting each distraction be consumed by the flame.

Some people stare at a literal candle for this, but that's a touch risky in terms of fire. Plus inconvenient if you only have a few minutes to slot some meditation into.

Once your mental landscape is clear, if you manage to get that far without falling asleep, you feed the candle and the wick into the flame. Then let the flame go out, so what you have inside your own mind is utter stillness.

Most people either fall asleep, or need to use the restroom before they get there. Each time you repeat the exercise you will get a little closer. When you do get to that point of total stillness, you won't have any doubt that you have achieved it. You can actually feel your emotions re-balancing, and the absence of mental noise.

Even if you don't reach the goal of the meditation the attempt tends to clear the mind to some degree, and help you relax.

Some people like to listen to music for this, I find that distracting myself.

and the absence of mental noise.

OK LG I pretty much always have some mental noise going on and it seems like it is always music. So much so that at times during the day it distracts me :mad:

Are you saying I can get rid of this or at least control it?

In meditation, you have to stop thinking to start thinking. Let your mind go where it may, not towards the things you think you should be thinking about, but just wherever it leads. Sorry, wish I could help more. :cross:

Thank you BobbiLynn, you know I always take your advice to heart.

To be honest, I've picked up bits and pieces from so many sources over the last 18 years or so that I really couldn't tell you where most of it came from.

A technique I've found useful is a kind of candle meditation. You sit or lay however is comfortable for you. Then imagine a candle in your mind. Then relax your muscles. It's usually easiest to do this one muscle group at a time, you will probably need to repeat the process a few times as you start distracting yourself. Each time something crosses your mind you feed it into the flame of the candle. Letting each distraction be consumed by the flame.

Some people stare at a literal candle for this, but that's a touch risky in terms of fire. Plus inconvenient if you only have a few minutes to slot some meditation into.

Once your mental landscape is clear, if you manage to get that far without falling asleep, you feed the candle and the wick into the flame. Then let the flame go out, so what you have inside your own mind is utter stillness.

Most people either fall asleep, or need to use the restroom before they get there. Each time you repeat the exercise you will get a little closer. When you do get to that point of total stillness, you won't have any doubt that you have achieved it. You can actually feel your emotions re-balancing, and the absence of mental noise.

Even if you don't reach the goal of the meditation the attempt tends to clear the mind to some degree, and help you relax.

Some people like to listen to music for this, I find that distracting myself.

LG, I like the candle idea and will try that. I agree music can become distracting. I've tried that before and although the music is soft and beautiful and even considered meditation music it can't be ignored. Relaxing yes but not exactly what I seek.

Today, hubby's friend came by to check on him and asked, "is that a chicken coop?" Not sure if he really was impressed or just felt sorry for us. Hubby's been bugging me to get pictures of it so probably I will tomorrow. We built it together. I can't really say who did most of the planning, measuring and cutting, but I do know I was in charge of all the heavy work. And measuring. And marking where the cuts go. Anyway... I picked up a big log today but then hubby said just roll the next one and tip it onto the log splitter. Just change positions on the splitter. The big log splitter was loaned for as long as we need it. To clean up the trees.

No job offers, but I don't have time for a 9-5 job anyway. Help from family for property taxes. No worries. I worry too much. :eek:

Latest posts

Back