Trouble Scaling 265 Gallon Brewery Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmwwd6

Reaction score
I reached out to the brewmaster at my favorite local pub asking about their Honey Wheat recipe. He responded with their 265 gallon recipe (seen below). I'm having trouble scaling this down to a 5 gallon batch size since beersmith doesn't have an equipment option for this size. Any help would be much appreciated.

265 Gallons
250# 2 row base malt
250# white wheat
30# honey as kettle fills to approx half volume add honey and boil wort for 60 minutes
20 oz Mt hood 60 minutes
12 oz Cascade 5 minutes
24 oz Sterling 1 minute
1187 Wyeast Ringwood strain

Amt Name Type # %/IBU
4 lbs 11.5 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 47.2 %
4 lbs 11.5 oz wheat (3.5 SRM) Grain 2 47.2 %
0.29 oz Mt. Hood [6.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 3 6.8 IBUs
0.17 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 4 0.7 IBUs
0.34 oz Sterling [7.50 %] - Boil 1.0 min Hop 5 0.4 IBUs
9.1 oz Honey (1.0 SRM)

if you can find out the ibu of the beer you could prolly figure out the hop sched better. Also they are are prolly getting the max utilization of the hops you may not.

Thank you, I'm still getting use to beersmith and working out all the kinks. I converted this recipe to extract and it only gave me liquid extract and honey, no steeping grains?

1# 13.2 oz wheat liquid extract
6# 2.3 oz honey
0.22 oz Mt Hood - 60 mins.
0.13 oz Cascade - 5 mins.
0.26 oz Sterling - 1 min

Thank you, I'm still getting use to beersmith and working out all the kinks. I converted this recipe to extract and it only gave me liquid extract and honey, no steeping grains?

1# 13.2 oz wheat liquid extract
6# 2.3 oz honey
0.22 oz Mt Hood - 60 mins.
0.13 oz Cascade - 5 mins.
0.26 oz Sterling - 1 min

The easiest way to do this is to divide the original recipe by 53 (assuming a 5 gallon batch). Then convert it. Beersmith is nice for many things, but you have to set up the conversion parameters yourself. You can see that your recipe has less than two pounds of extract and over 6 pounds of honey, so it's wildly incorrect.

First, the scaling to 5 gallons:

4.7 pounds 2 row base malt
4.7 pounds white wheat
.56 pound honey as kettle fills to approx half volume add honey and boil wort for 60 minutes
.37 oz Mt hood 60 minutes
.25 oz Cascade 5 minutes
.45 oz Sterling 1 minute
1187 Wyeast Ringwood strain

Ok, now to convert THAT to extract.

Wheat DME is usually 35% wheat/65% barley, so there really isn't any real way to get you to 50/50 with just extract. We can get close, and get you 35% wheat and 65% barley, unless you want to do a partial mash.

The extract recipe:
6 pounds wheat DME
.5 pound honey
.35 oz Mt hood 60 minutes (for ease of math, I made it .35)
.25 oz Cascade 5 minutes
.45 oz Sterling 1 minute (could go to .5 ounce for ease of math)

If you want to do a partial mash, you could lower the amount of wheat DME and mash some wheat malt and two-row. There aren't any specialty grains in the recipe, but if you want some honey flavor and sweetness, you could add .25 pound of honey malt and steep it.

Back