Blow out!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Potamus

Reaction score
I brewed a Brewer's Best RIS late last night and accidentally overfilled by about a half gallon. Instead of messing with it, I just pitched Safale 04 and set it in the basement at 66 degrees to ferment in a 6.5 gallon bucket.

This afternoon I found the airlock filled with wort and I quickly improvised a blow-off tube feeding into sanitized water. It's still spewing foam out the tube and bubbling wort out the sides of the lid, which I hope is going to hold. First, I'm wondering if fermentation this vigorous is normal. I've done seven other beers and never had anything close to this. I'm also wondering how long this extreme foaming will last and how best to clean it up without risking infection, since I planned to leave it in primary for about a month. Should I take off the lid to wash and sanitize when this subsides?

DSC01173.jpg

hit it with some soapy hot water for now so u don't attract flies/bacteria/other nasties to the lid while its still fermenting. Then hit it with some star san once when u get it cleaned up and then again after fermentation slows down/subsides if you plan on taking the top off.

personally I wouldn't bother taking it off and cleaning it and then reapplying before its done in primary just so there is no risk of infection, as long as I made sure to clean all the wort up off of the sides cuz thats just like a dinner bell for all kinds of nasties to ruin ur beer.

Edit: Oh and from one Luzerne County resident to another, welcome to HBT. U have a nice brew shop not far from u in Drums (Simply Home Brew) and Broken Hydrometer Brewing is up that way as well.

Haha... I like this thread. Yes, it's normal. With a high OG like an imperial stout, there are tons of sugars and your yeast will go crazy. Watch your temperatures to make sure it doesn't go too high. Good move with the blow off. I also like to tide bottles ontop of the fermenter to weigh the lid down. It will probably remain vigorous like this for 3-4 days then settle down a bit.

To clean, I'd just clean the sides of the bucket and maybe take out the blow off tube, clean, sanitize and put it back on. There really isn't any reason to open the lid and clean anything inside.

As you said, let it sit at least 3-4 weeks and you may want to bulk condition this one too.

Thanks guys. Good advice. Wow, small world, Pratzie. I go to Simply Homebrew all the time!

Ive never been there but I plan on hitting it up soon. Im in the Back Mountain so Beer Solutions is closer but i work in Hazleton so one of these days im just gonna take a ride up 309.

Have u talked to anyone about the Wyoming Valley Home Brew Club?

I'm from hazleton also! Simply homebrew got me rolling now I can't stop.

I also bought a chest freezer for a fermentation chamber from Craigslist there.

No, I hadn't heard about it.

if ur interested, message this guy. https://www.homebrewtalk.com/members/annasdadhockey

His name is Ed and he's the President. unfortunately i always work 3-11 when they have meetings so I haven't had a chance to attend but its always the first Monday of the month and they meet at Sabatini's in Exeter, usually around 7-730 i believe. They seem like an active group, even though i haven't had a chance to attend any meetings im on their email list and hear a bout all the upcoming events and such.

This was my first brew. Scared me, after initial spewing I put it in the bathtub. Clogged my 3 piece airlock. Now I only use blowoff tube...

Back