How long to let IPA's age?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwapogorilla

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I fell in love with IPA's. I am getting ready to brew Yooper's recipe for a ruinication clone. While I know quite a few beers get better with aging in a bottle(a few months) I was wondering if IPA's are the same?
I have gotten into a habit for all of my brews to be in the primary for 3 weeks, secondary for 2 weeks then bottle for 3 weeks for carbing.
Do IPA's hold flavor/aroma in the bottle? Or does it fade there as well?

American IPA's I'd like to be drinking in no more than three weeks from brewday. Preferably two.

English IPA's, two months minimum. More is better.

There is no need to "age" and IPA, but you should still follow normal fermenting routines. eg ferment until done, dry hop for a week or so, package, let carb 3+ weeks, chill.

IPAs generally have simple grain profiles that don't really need any time to meld. They also tend to use yeasts with relatively clean profiles that don't need to mellow. They also tend to ferment out relatively quickly, so 5 weeks of total fermentation time most certainly overkill.

I opened a bottle of an IPA I brewed in January after not having one for a couple of weeks and really noticed that it's aroma and taste have both really subsided. It's still drinkable, but it's definitely lost it's punch.

The good news is that there's no need to try to make it last!

21 day primary, 7 day dry hop, 14 day bottle carb and drink as soon as they are carbed. The aroma fades very fast but once you get to about 4 weeks it stays the same for the next month or 2. Not a problem for me, my dry hopped IPA and APA's don't last!

If it's really malty, and you like barleywines, you can let it sit. Otherwise, drink it within a few weeks.

I tried experimenting with aging a few bottles of a Stone Sublimely Self-Righteous clone. The first 1-3 months were very fresh, as you can imagine. At 6 months, some of the dry-hopped aromas had faded while richer malty flavors developed. Different, but still decent. The last bottle at 1 year had almost no hop flavor or aroma (just bitterness) and was somewhat stale/oxidized. No bueno.

Back