ah crud...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drakerebel

Reaction score
I just realized I steeped grains for a 1ga kit until boil...grr. what am I in for? It was a IPA kit...non dark

And then, making a biab kit of another IPA, I had jostled the pitched us-05 carboy around and the yeasties don't seem to be in top anymore...concern? Will they make their way upwards again over time?

Probably nothing to worry about as kingogames said. You might have released some tannins by getting the grains too warm but that is doubtful and if so in an extract kit the effect would be minimal anyway. At to jostling the yeasties - they won't care...:)

To add, the activity at the top of your fermenter is not necessarily yeast. It's called krauszen and is merely one of the biproducts of the fermentation process. Kraszen typically settles and falls from the top after active fermentation has ceased. Jostling the fermenter should be minimized, but should not have harmed your beer. Many people will actually do this to rouse the yeast if they feel fermentation has stalled.

RDWHAHB.

Jostling the fermenter should be minimized, but should not have harmed your beer.
RDWHAHB.

Why? Other than having to wait a little longer for trub and yeast to cake at the bottom, it's not a problem. Add O2 and swirling's a no-no, but I think we're just talking about a quick fermenter swirl. It's actually a great way to get clean things up.
Just my two cents
P

Back