kegging tomorrow 1st time need help plz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PastorofMuppets

brewing beer leads to happy life
Reaction score
Okay so here is the deal.

My brewing buddy and I both bought corny ball lock kegs and one 5 lb co2 tank each.

We only brew 5 gallon batches. Realistically its 4.8 gallons after trub, but I plan on going a bit bigger on future batches.

We want to split batches 2.5 gallons each into 1 keg each for now until we can brew 10 gal batches. I have a keg to make into a keggle but havent done it yet.

Anyways...

I need info on how to do this without screwing it up. Should I attach gas with the lids off and then rack the 2.5 gal and then add pressure to 30 psi or what?

I know I need to do a 24 hour chill on the kegs before force carbing but need to know how to purge out all the oxygen correctly from half full corny kegs???

I know it will use alot of co2 to do it this way but from what Ive read it can be done for a couple batches. I do plan to upgrade soon.

Please help me out dear homebrew wonderful peeps.

After you put the beer in the kegs, put the lids on. Hook up your CO2 to the kegs and fill the space with CO2 @ 30 psi. After CO2 has been released into the keg (you'll hear the sound diminish), pull (burp) the release ring that is located on the lid so the CO2 can push the 'bad' air out. Repeat 3-4 times. Yes, you'll waste more CO2 than someone with a full keg....but who cares? :tank:

Back