first time kegging questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bjack2

Reaction score
So I have a few probably simple questions about kegging as I am in the process of doing it for the first time

1. I am doing the "set and forget" method. I set my pressure at 12psi then put the keg and regulator in the fridge at 40F. The next day I noticed it trickle down to 10 and stay there. I understand that this is normal but should I turn it back up in the fridge to 12 to get my 2.5 volumes (used the chart on morebeer website)?

2. I have the beverage out line connected while it is carbonating. Is that right? Should I have left it off until serving time?

3. The pressure relief valve has been welded closed on the used corny keg I bought. To purge off the oxygen in the headspace should I have carbonated for a while then detached the gas line and purged through the poppit valve? How many times?

Thanks!

Ben

1. 10psi is probably going to be your serving pressure, so it's fine to leave it there.

2. It won't make any difference unless it's leaking.

3. I like to purge 4-5 times.

bjack2 said:
So I have a few probably simple questions about kegging as I am in the process of doing it for the first time

1. I am doing the "set and forget" method. I set my pressure at 12psi then put the keg and regulator in the fridge at 40F. The next day I noticed it trickle down to 10 and stay there. I understand that this is normal but should I turn it back up in the fridge to 12 to get my 2.5 volumes (used the chart on morebeer website)?

2. I have the beverage out line connected while it is carbonating. Is that right? Should I have left it off until serving time?

3. The pressure relief valve has been welded closed on the used corny keg I bought. To purge off the oxygen in the headspace should I have carbonated for a while then detached the gas line and purged through the poppit valve? How many times?

Thanks!

Ben

1. I wouldn't worry about it. 10 PSI is a good standard serving pressure.

2. You don't need it connected but to my knowledge it won't hurt having it connected.

3. Yes that's the best way to do it. I also purge around 4 times.

Everything looks good, but it is not normal to set the pressure at 12 and have it end up at 10 the next day. The REGULATOR is supposed to REGULATE the pressure, not kinda regulate it. In 3 years of kegging about 60-70 batches, I've never experienced this.

Who told you this was normal, and how did they explain it? It should be a closed system where set pressure doesn't change.

Everything looks good, but it is not normal to set the pressure at 12 and have it end up at 10 the next day. The REGULATOR is supposed to REGULATE the pressure, not kinda regulate it. In 3 years of kegging about 60-70 batches, I've never experienced this.

Who told you this was normal, and how did they explain it? It should be a closed system where set pressure doesn't change.

Wouldn't expansion and contraction occur with a temp swing? If his system started at room temp with the reg set at 12 it may change a bit once everything has gone from 70 degrees to 40. I experienced the same thing when I set up my system. Co2 cylinder and all went from room temp to 37. Once it stabilized, I adjusted it to 12 which is where my system best serves at and it has not moved.

It is probably along the same lines as the gauge showing how much is in the cylinder reading low at low temps.

Gotcha. I always have my kegs prechilled and down to 40F before I ever put them on gas, so I just didn't understand what you were doing. Gas on!

Thanks everyone! I did reset it to 12 and it has stayed there since (4 days). Maybe next time I will pre-chill the kegs. I tasted it (about 6.5 days since kegging) and it is close but not yet to my goal of 2.5 volumes. I am so tempted to shake it to get it carbed up because it tastes SO GOOD but I am going to try and be patient.

I am so tempted to shake it to get it carbed up because it tastes SO GOOD but I am going to try and be patient.

I don't shake anymore since I had a batch of brown ale that never would clear up after I had done just that. If I need to get one carbed more quickly, I do it via pressure adjustments (30psi 24hrs, 20psi 48hrs, then it to 10psi a few days).

If you have the means, try cold-crashing 3-5 days @ 35*F prior to kegging. Not only will it help to clarify the beer and compact the trub, it will put the beer at the right temp for the CO2 to dissolve more easily.

Back