AG Beersmith help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerzilla81

Reaction score
Hello fellow brewers,Ive been brewing extract batches for some time now and im ready to move on to AG. I recently purchased Beersmith2 and was hoping it would help me out,so far though im only getting a headache from it. I surfed the web for a simple Hefe recipe. This is one that i found.

All Grain Recipe - Hefeweizen ::: 1.052/1.012 (6.25 Gal)
Grain Bill (Assumes 70% Efficiency)

6 lbs. - Pilsner Malt
6 lb. - Wheat Malt
Hop Schedule (12 IBU)

1 oz - Hallertau (60 Min.)
** OR Use Liberty (1oz) instead **

Yeast

Wyeast Weihenstephan Weizen (3068) - 800 ml starter

Mash/Sparge/Boil

Mash at about 152 F. Sparge as usual
Boil for 60 minutes
Cool and ferment at about 64F

Now,when i punch the numbers in Beersmith,it says that the EST OG and EST ABV are way off the chart when compared to the style guide.
Is it something im doing wrong? I also currently have a Phil's lauter/mash tun,so i tried to pick which eqipment profile best fit mine. Please help,im starting to think beersmith might not be all its cracked up to be or im just hoping its something im doing wrong.

Yes AG is selected. I belive it's a 5 gal. batch got recipe from 365 brew.

What exactly are the OG and ABV that Beersmith is predicting? Have you selected the correct style for the recipe?

Beerzilla81 said:
Yes AG is selected. I belive it's a 5 gal. batch got recipe from 365 brew.

But you can edit the batch size to accommodate your final volume. Is 5 gal set for the volume? Your recipe says its for 6.25 gal in your OP. the same grain bill at 70% will give you very different OG and projected ABV at 5 gal and at 6.25 gal.

You have to enter the recipe as is and note it as a 6.25gallon recipe at 70% efficiency.

The using the scale tool change it to your desired batch size and efficiency % and be sure to check the box to keep everything the same in the recipe

You also need to be sure you have he proper equipment profile selected.

ok,i guess thats my first AG rookie mistake. Something so simple....DUH!:drunk: Thanks to all who chimed in.

As far as my Phils lauter/mash tun,has anyone had any experience with that set-up?

Back