Emerging microbrewery trend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There is a lot of bitterness in this thread over something I don't understand. I see you are angry but your points all seem to boil down to bitterness rather than well reasoned arguments.

Just to examine your arguments you take two groups you know of personally, then a bunch you have read about, and say you don't like them opening breweries. The reasons for this seem to boil down to:

1) They are too young/inexperienced
2) They are getting financial help from relatives

There are many generalizations listed throughout your argument, specifically:
1) If you are 22-23 and fresh out of college you are irresponsible and incapable of opening a business.
2) The owners of the businesses are going to be the brewers, and there is no way they have any good beer recipes to offer the area and are completely and 100 percent incapable of making good beer.
3) Young people opening breweries have degrees that are worthless/difficult to get a real job with and have no life experiences.
4) It is wrong to save money as a parent to provide your child to offer them a better life than what you had when you were growing up.
5) Once successful, these young people will devolve into a cocaine snorting and irresponsible spending spiral, eventually ending up dead in some meth house (exaggeration taken for effect).

1) I get it, you are irritated this is happening, but your generalizations are wrong. Just because you, or people you have met, were a 22-23 year old fresh out of college who was incapable of opening a business doesn't mean they will be.
2) It is too easy to come onto this forum, look up a couple recipes that people rate highly, and scale it up a bit and make it. Or have a family friend who brews and they let you use their recipe and are just excited to see it in production. Look at others on this very board who have been approached by smaller breweries and asked if they can make their recipe. Or, MAYBE they came up with a good recipe on their own! Blasphemy!
3) I turned 27 less than a month ago, and I promise I have done and seen more of this world than 90 percent of America will in their entire lives. Age does not automatically equal experience or maturity. For every young person you know incapable of opening a business I know a 30-40 year old who STILL isn't.
4) I simply disagree with this.
5) ... or they will succeed?

As for the overall problems you have with it, I simply counter that a young age does not necessarily mean inexperience or immaturity, and more businesses than you will be happy with have gotten financial backing from relatives. Hell, even 30-40 year olds may be able to get financial backing from relatives to make their dreams come true.

It just sounds like you are wishing failure on those you know and every other young person who wants to try something. Maybe you should just be happy that there will be more choices of beer to drink in the near future. Or just don't drink theirs and only give those breweries whose starting steps you approve of business?

Disclaimer: I have received no financial backing from my parents for my life, including college, nor for writing this post.

I can see where the OP is coming from. The thing that bothers me is as the craft brewing market becomes more saturated, there is more of a push for marketing before a product is even on the market. This marketing is most effective on the internet, and the younger kids have the time/knowledge that many of us old guys don't have. There is a not yet opened brewery in town that raised $40k for a kickstarter campaign, without a product on the market. Obviously, the success was based on marketing and not a consumable product. Its hard for me to get my head around that.

I can accept this as the reasoning, but the easy way to remedy this from a business standpoint is pay some young, inexperienced 22-23 year old fresh out of college good for nothing and have him advertise for you.

Or ask a younger relative? Is it bad to get help from parents but okay to get it from children? I am not sure where the OP is drawing the line at business assistance.

Sure hop aboard.

I wouldn't necessarily call it jealousy, to me its more less seeing these guys as undeserving. I know that if I wanted to do what they are doing I could and I would succeed.

There's never a shortage of capital, only a shortage of good ideas.

Bad idea + capital = burning money
Good idea + no capital = attracts capital

A friend of a friend tried to start a brewery at 23. Name was Ken Grossman or something. I never heard what happened, but I'm sure it went belly up. Fresh out of college, how good could his beer have been?

I used to work with a guy who opened a bar when he was 24. He and 2 of his buddies got together and bought a place. All 3 were from wealthy families and got backed by their parents. I have no idea how they got a liquor license in NY at that age, but they did.

I went a few times. It was a nice place in a great area, but you could tell by their attitudes it wouldn't last. This guy didn't even quit his day job to run the place. They used it to pickup girls, drink, and invite all their buddies over to drink. They never treated it as a business, but more like a hangout. The place stayed open for about 1-1/2 years then went under.

I'm not saying every 24 year old is wired that way. However, if I had to back someone I'd rather back a 30-40 year old with kids and his own money tied up in a venture like this.

On the other hand, there are a lot of younger people who do it on their own. Good for them. I think the key is earning it yourself.

OP, I'm 46 now, and often express opinions like yours in the way that you did. I have conventional values and ideas and relate more to my parents' generation than to my own or those younger than me. I have also been proven wrong (and embarrassed) in many cases, and have learned through various experiences that times have changed, and continue to change at an incredible rate. I have seen young people pathetically attached to their daddy's teat, wasting every penny they're given. I have also seen young people who are lucky enough to have been given a financial start by their parents (who earned their wealth), then work their a$$es off (as demonstrated by their parents), repay every penny (ethics learned from their parents), and make it on their own while still young. Apparently working in fast food is no longer a requirement for success, although I did my time there. I guess watching the average "kid" in this "entitled" generation take whatever they can get, then go "occupy" this or that has jaded me too. I get very cynical. Then out of nowhere, I'll get slapped back to the reassuring reality that behind all the whiners, there's still a population of gutsy, hard-working, ethical "kids" who are ambitious (and naive) enough to try entrepreneurship, and smart enough to seize an opportunity to do so, and many of them make it. I gotta give them props; it's a scary place to try to start a business these days. Anyone who tries, even with daddy's help, has guts. Those who don't have what it takes will fail eventually. Those who don't fail, no matter how young they start and where they get their initial money, apparently have what it takes. If I like their beer, I'll spend my money there and tell my friends to go. If not, I'll drive on by.

There is a lot of bitterness in this thread over something I don't understand. I see you are angry but your points all seem to boil down to bitterness rather than well reasoned arguments.

Just to examine your arguments you take two groups you know of personally, then a bunch you have read about, and say you don't like them opening breweries. The reasons for this seem to boil down to:

1) If you are 22-23 and fresh out of college you are irresponsible and incapable of opening a business.
2) The owners of the businesses are going to be the brewers, and there is no way they have any good beer recipes to offer the area and are completely and 100 percent incapable of making good beer.
3) Young people opening breweries have degrees that are worthless/difficult to get a real job with and have no life experiences.
4) It is wrong to save money as a parent to provide your child to offer them a better life than what you had when you were growing up.
5) Once successful, these young people will devolve into a cocaine snorting and irresponsible spending spiral, eventually ending up dead in some meth house (exaggeration taken for effect).

1) I get it, you are irritated this is happening, but your generalizations are wrong. Just because you, or people you have met, were a 22-23 year old fresh out of college who was incapable of opening a business doesn't mean they will be.
2) It is too easy to come onto this forum, look up a couple recipes that people rate highly, and scale it up a bit and make it. Or have a family friend who brews and they let you use their recipe and are just excited to see it in production. Look at others on this very board who have been approached by smaller breweries and asked if they can make their recipe. Or, MAYBE they came up with a good recipe on their own! Blasphemy!
3) I turned 27 less than a month ago, and I promise I have done and seen more of this world than 90 percent of America will in their entire lives. Age does not automatically equal experience or maturity. For every young person you know incapable of opening a business I know a 30-40 year old who STILL isn't.

As for the overall problems you have with it, I simply counter that a young age does not necessarily mean inexperience or immaturity, and more businesses than you will be happy with have gotten financial backing from relatives. Hell, even 30-40 year olds may be able to get financial backing from relatives to make their dreams come true.

It just sounds like you are wishing failure on those you know and every other young person who wants to try something. Maybe you should just be happy that there will be more choices of beer to drink in the near future. Or just don't drink theirs and only give those breweries whose starting steps you approve of business?

Disclaimer: I have received no financial backing from my parents for my life, including college, nor for writing this post.

I'll break it down for you

1. IMO being self made makes you a stronger person in many aspects. Having financial backing handed to you at a young age is dangerous and often leads to failure
  2. IMO good beer comes from experienced brewers. Experienced brewers tend to be older than 22 years old.

While many of you think this is a bitter rant, this is not the case.

Could you elaborate on how it impacts your life when a 22 year old stats a brewery with his daddy's money? In other words, how are you deprived of an opportunity, or your life impacted in any meaningful way?

I guess I just don't understand why you care about this trend that your feel you are observing.

OP, I'm 46 now, and often express opinions like yours in the way that you did. I have conventional values and ideas and relate more to my parents' generation than to my own or those younger than me. I have also been proven wrong (and embarrassed) in many cases, and have learned through various experiences that times have changed, and continue to change at an incredible rate. I have seen young people pathetically attached to their daddy's teat, wasting every penny they're given. I have also seen young people who are lucky enough to have been given a financial start by their parents (who earned their wealth), then work their a$$es off (as demonstrated by their parents), repay every penny (ethics learned from their parents), and make it on their own while still young. Apparently working in fast food is no longer a requirement for success, although I did my time there. I guess watching the average "kid" in this "entitled" generation take whatever they can get, then go "occupy" this or that has jaded me too. I get very cynical. Then out of nowhere, I'll get slapped back to the reassuring reality that behind all the whiners, there's still a population of gutsy, hard-working, ethical "kids" who are ambitious (and naive) enough to try entrepreneurship, and smart enough to seize an opportunity to do so, and many of them make it. I gotta give them props; it's a scary place to try to start a business these days. Anyone who tries, even with daddy's help, has guts. Those who don't have what it takes will fail eventually. Those who don't fail, no matter how young they start and where they get their initial money, apparently have what it takes. If I like their beer, I'll spend my money there and tell my friends to go. If not, I'll drive on by.

I agree, there are those who are given financial backing and do well.

At 31 years old, I too tend to relate to the values of my grandparents. So far, every venture that I have set my mind to has been successful. As most of you have likely guessed, I did it all myself with a lot of great advice from older mentors who showed me the ropes. I do give these folks credit but no monetary handouts were given.

My beliefs are traditional and simple. Doing it on your own makes you a stronger and wiser. Having it handed to you lessens you chances of success. I see these 22 yr old graduates as undeserving.

As I said before, my future children will get priceless advice from me and nothing else. Not because I am angry that I didn't have it handed to me, but because I firmly believe that it is what is best.

Could you elaborate on how it impacts your life when a 22 year old stats a brewery with his daddy's money? In other words, how are you deprived of an opportunity, or your life impacted in any meaningful way?

I guess I just don't understand why you care about this trend that your feel you are observing.

This has zero impact on my life and I'm not deprived of any opportunity.

A friend of a friend tried to start a brewery at 23. Name was Ken Grossman or something. I never heard what happened, but I'm sure it went belly up. Fresh out of college, how good could his beer have been?

Ken brews one of my favorite beers - Torpedo IPA.

I love this thread, mostly because of the copious amounts of laughter I got from reading it.

Clearly, there are some gents who have some brewery jealousy. I'm all about buying local and supporting the local brewery but I only buy one beer from one of the local breweries and two of the offerings from another brewery because the rest of their stuff is gross. Ironically, the one that I would drink any of their beers is a new start up (the brewmaster is in his early 30s) and he makes really great beer.

Then why do you care? I'm really just trying to understand.

I suppose it all boils down feeling as if few still believe in the American dream.

So many "entitled" youth have no idea what it means to work their way up in life. I see it as degradation of the core beliefs and founding of the US.

I love this thread, mostly because of the copious amounts of laughter I got from reading it.

Clearly, there are some gents who have some brewery jealousy. I'm all about buying local and supporting the local brewery but I only buy one beer from one of the local breweries and two of the offerings from another brewery because the rest of their stuff is gross. Ironically, the one that I would drink any of their beers is a new start up (the brewmaster is in his early 30s) and he makes really great beer.

Ok, I'm jealous. You got me.

Oh, snap!!! OP owned.

I'll break it down for you

1. IMO being self made makes you a stronger person in many aspects. Having financial backing handed to you at a young age is dangerous and often leads to failure
  2. IMO good beer comes from experienced brewers. Experienced brewers tend to be older than 22 years old.

I know these are your opinions and are most likely held as a result of experiences, so I have little chance of changing your mind just by typing something out on the internet. I wholeheartedly agree with point one, that it can make you stronger in many aspects. Instead of trying to change your mind just typing something on the internet, let me put it another way.

Is the strength you are referring to a result of the experience of starting from scratch or is it possible that it is already inherent in a person, ie what would happen to someone who would have succeeded from scratch if they were given a financial hand? I would submit that they would be just as successful, or even more so, because the strength of heart and commitment necessary was already in the person.

For point two, are you saying it isn't possible for someone to be raised by their parents or family friend with a knowledge on brewing before it may be necessarily legal for them to drink? You don't have to use your OWN recipes, but instead build off of others' work. If my (future) son decided to open a brewery and make some beer I came up with I would be honored.

Again, I know your beliefs are strong. I just want to put it less confrontational than I did before because frankly I came off as a ****.

I suppose it all boils down feeling as if few still believe in the American dream.

So many "entitled" youth have no idea what it means to work their way up in life. I see it as degradation of the core beliefs and founding of the US.

So because 2 breweries were founded by young people who you know to be founded by their daddies, the majority of the other 300 million people no longer believe in the American dream? Got it.

Even if we assume the other half dozen that you read about were also funded by their daddies... that's still a very small sample size on which to assess the state of the american dream.

I'll also point out that your suggestion that people ought "bust your a$$ working a crap job as a corporate drone for several years" is more consistent with the American dream is interesting. Don't remember crap jobs as a corporate drone being part of anyone's dream.

I dot know about the rest of you...but I need a nice pint of homebrew....

Cheers!

... and I GET this. I agree, even as a younger person on your scale, that a lot of the youth today can be greedy little, uh, dudes. But I would just ask you be careful ASSUMING that all those young people who get help don't deserve it and their parents are being irresponsible in helping. If my father had money to help me in a business venture when I was 22 you bet he would have loaned it to me. But that wouldn't make me a bad person, just lucky enough to have a parent with disposable funds.

I know these are your opinions and are most likely held as a result of experiences, so I have little chance of changing your mind just by typing something out on the internet. I wholeheartedly agree with point one, that it can make you stronger in many aspects. Instead of trying to change your mind just typing something on the internet, let me put it another way.

Is the strength you are referring to a result of the experience of starting from scratch or is it possible that it is already inherent in a person, ie what would happen to someone who would have succeeded from scratch if they were given a financial hand? I would submit that they would be just as successful, or even more so, because the strength of heart and commitment necessary was already in the person.

For point two, are you saying it isn't possible for someone to be raised by their parents or family friend with a knowledge on brewing before it may be necessarily legal for them to drink? You don't have to use your OWN recipes, but instead build off of others' work. If my (future) son decided to open a brewery and make some beer I came up with I would be honored.

Again, I know your beliefs are strong. I just want to put it less confrontational than I did before because frankly I came off as a ****.

No worries, you didn't come off as an ass. You are speaking to one who is commonly referred to by others as an A-hole due to my willingness to express my beliefs. I proudly display my a-hole badge and it is very difficult to hurt any feelings here.

I believe that true success is in fact inherent. However, in this equal opportunity world everyone is a winner! Throw a little cash at any moderately intelligent child and they too can make it. When they screw up, throw a little more money at them and make it all better. This is no solution.

Yes, it is possible that they were taught at a young age. With so many of these breweries popping up everywhere, I doubt this is the case for many.

There's a great passage in one of the Socratic dialogues about how the youth of the day loved luxury but spurned work.

If you resent the rising generation, take comfort in the fact that cranky old men have been despising teenagers for at least two and a half millennia! :D

I see financial backing as an investment, whether it's from Bank of America or Bank of Dad. Some of our judgment or criticism should be aimed at the parents, not just the kids. If dad throws money at a bad investment, shame on him. Dad's money can't make a business work if the kid's a slacker, regardless of his age. If dad puts money into a good investment, an investment that he raised with certain values, and if he thinks that investment can survive at a relatively young age, that's his gamble. And he probably wont fund a second chance if the first one fails.

Another thought... if a "kid" starts a brewery and makes decent beer, decent enough for people to pay for it and keep the doors open, he has the perfect opportunity and lots of time to experiment, gain feedback from his patrons, build his experience, and improve his beer. A non-pro can't gain experience as fast as someone brewing at a commercial pace with hundreds of tasters.

StressedPenguin, I think you should open a brewery in northern California, close to where I live. You sound like one of the sharper tools in the shed, especially at 27. You also sounds like you may be military: "I turned 27 less than a month ago, and I promise I have done and seen more of this world than 90 percent of America will in their entire lives." Good on ya'!

I'll also point out that your suggestion that people ought "bust your a$$ working a crap job as a corporate drone for several years" is more consistent with the American dream is interesting. Don't remember crap jobs as a corporate drone being part of anyone's dream.

Suffering doing something that you don't want to do is where the american dream begins my friend.

Sometimes you gotta be a corporate drone to raise seed money before going on your own. Well that's at least how it use to be.

Well guys, its been a great convo but its time for me to crack open a home brew and get this long weekend started. I'll be back to participate next Monday if this thread is still living.

Suffering doing something that you don't want to do is where the american dream begins my friend.

For some yes. That's also where it dead ends for many. For those with a sharp mind and lots of drive, and often a unique opportunity (like funding), it begins with an idea that's different from everybody else's, something that you're passionate about, and working hard to sell it. Take Col. Sanders selling chicken in a box on a Kentucky street corner for example, or Henry Ford, or Steve Jobs, or Colin Powell. From talking with the successful entrepreneurs I've known, working hard at your passion does not equal suffering.

Sometimes you gotta be a corporate drone to raise seed money before going on your own. Well that's at least how it use to be.

Sometimes yes. But the Fastest Swimmer Club has had a thriving membership since the beginning of time.

That is a very sad interpretation of the American dream.

The idea that hard work will allow you to succeed is a noble one. The idea that suffering is a necessary part of that is bizarre, imo.

OP, this is to help you out, it is unhealthy to have such a envious view of this (and in honesty, its obvious by your words and argument). Just come to accept that this happens now, HAS happened since the beginning of time, and will continue to happen. Some kids have a silver spoon and a great work ethic and drive and some blow it all, it should make NO difference to your life, but it really must for you to post so vehemently about it.

A piece of wisdom I feel I have learned as I have gotten older that has changed my outlook is to NOT assume I know what the "real" story is (as you have assumed in many of these cases)--Sure, I can get a generic impression, as you did, but I would absolutely NOT let it bother me until I know the true story behind something. Unless you really know someone, it is impossible to assume their background.

You never know who is a truly talented/motivated individual until you know them.

This thinking will increase your happiness OP, here is a good quote I have seen somewhere before (paraphrased):

"How happy can a person be if they feel the need to attack others for their choices?"

Good luck

So just to be sure, I'll be 33 in September, I've been brewing all grain for four years, have a goatee, and my beer is really good. I'm safe right, cause I'm working on a business plan.

Spintab said:
So just to be sure, I'll be 33 in September, I've been brewing all grain for four years, have a goatee, and my beer is really good. I'm safe right, cause I'm working on a business plan.

Yes...you are in the clear! Now go drink a beer!
:)

I see this from both sides and just don't agree with you generalisation and that you are always 95% correct.
These "guys" fall into 2 catagories really:
The succedors = have the will, passion and drive to make a business a success. And all they need is the backing, luckly for them their parents are loaded. I would expect these people to also view it as a loan and not free money.
The party-boys = do not have the drive for success but do it because they can since daddy is stumping up the cash. They will fail because really all they are interested in is living the high life with their parents money. The parents are most likely just happy to have the kid doing something. I would expect these people to also view it as just free money.

I know I made generalisations there but at least I'm not saying all rich kids are in the second group.

If they have the chance to borrow money from family why should they pay business financing interest on the capital they raise, all this does is reduce the chance of them succending.

Yes...you are in the clear! Now go drink a beer!
:)

Wait! you forgot to check on the college degree,
Spintab - Have you ever graduated college with a useless degree? If you have sorry, but you will fail... 95% of the time.

mattd2 said:
Wait! you forgot to check on the college degree,
Spintab - Have you ever graduated college with a useless degree? If you have sorry, but you will fail... 95% of the time.

He also did not cover if daddy was giving him any money!

First, how good can your beer possibly be? You are 22-23 years old, fresh out of college and likely have not graduated from a Mr. Beer kit.

I'm 24 and I make some delicious beers. I'm not a pro brewer but I've never owned a Mr. Beer kit either. Young people can follow recipes as well as old people. If it takes you 30-40 years to make good beer you've already failed.

I can understand the entitlement rant and often feel the same way but leave my beer out of it!

I'm 24 and I make some delicious beers. I'm not a pro brewer but I've never owned a Mr. Beer kit either.

I can understand the entitlement rant and often feel the same way but leave my beer out of it!

Your beers may be delicious now, but they couldn't have been last year... too young and not enough experience.

I'm 40...put myself through college (both my undergrad and masters)...love brewing...so I'm doomed to fail I guess. Dammit...better start buying lottery tickets again....

Latest posts

Back