homemade immersion chiller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

casesensative

Reaction score
So i went to home depot and made myself a wort chiller the other day. When I put it all together I brought some water to a boil and then turned off the flame and let it soak for about 10 minutes in 180+ degrees water.

Looking back I don't think it removed all of the coating, because when I used it in my brew yesterday it came out shiny as f***. The top part that sticks out looks like it did when I first bought the tubing, and the part that was submerged when chilling looks totally different.

Whatever coating was on the copper, at least some of it got into the beer.

Is this beer going to be safe to drink? What is the coating that comes on the outside of the copper coil?

The beer still smells amazing.

Probably some oils leftover from manufacturing. I'm still alive after 3 years of brewing with my copper chiller. Your probably safe.

So i went to home depot and made myself a wort chiller the other day. When I put it all together I brought some water to a boil and then turned off the flame and let it soak for about 10 minutes in 180+ degrees water.

Looking back I don't think it removed all of the coating, because when I used it in my brew yesterday it came out shiny as f***. The top part that sticks out looks like it did when I first bought the tubing, and the part that was submerged when chilling looks totally different.

Whatever coating was on the copper, at least some of it got into the beer.

Is this beer going to be safe to drink? What is the coating that comes on the outside of the copper coil?

The beer still smells amazing.

funny you say that !!!! No this is normal, boiling water is somewhere around a normal PH.... because beer is acidic the copper once immersed in the high PH wort comes out nice and shiny. you in essence are giving the copper coil a acid bath. copper has a tendency to have a patina and that is normal so once it goes into boiling acidic wort bam !! shine but, No the beer is fine you did NOTHING wrong and you will live. you will notice this will happen every time you use the chiller as in between batches the patina and dull look will come back so don't be alarmed that it is shiny coming out of the wort again this is normal.

Well this is good to hear because i think this could be my best beer yet, appreciate the feedback.

That would be copper oxide...Here's a tidbit from John Palmer on the subject

Brewers who use immersion wort chillers are always surprised how bright and shiny the chiller is the first time it comes out of the wort. If the chiller wasn't bright and shiny when it went into the wort, guess where the grime and oxides ended up? Yep, in your beer. The oxides of copper are more readily dissolved by the mildly acidic wort than is the copper itself. By cleaning copper tubing with acetic acid once before the first use and rinsing with water immediately after each use, the copper will remain clean with no oxide or wort deposits that could harbor bacteria. Cleaning copper with vinegar should only occasionally be necessary.
http://www.howtobrew.com/appendices/appendixB.html

Back