Dont Do this, I Just lost 4 gallons of finished beer!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
I just kegged 5 gallons into my corny and was in the process of carbing it. i walked away for a few and when i came back it was squirting out the tap. I firs thought I lost a gallon, but nope about 3-4 gallons on the effin ground.

either the tap was bad or you shouldnt leave the tap connected while force carbing. I had it at about 30

I filled a growler and a few glasses before this tragidy, and it was pretty decent beer. I hope this doesnt happen to anyone else. dont leave your taps connected when force carbing

100_0923.jpg

Dont connect the tap.

Of course, then you can have a leaking output valve and find it all in the bottom of the keezer, but that's better than the floor. :p

I force carb - but at the serving pressure - set it to 10 or 12 psi and leave it for two weeks -
and yes, a leaking poppet is most disturbing -

A couple weeks ago I lost about 1 - 1.5 gallons of an IPA that was my first FWH-ing experience thanks to an old poppet valve. The tap was also connected, but the regulator was set to just a light serving pressure (6 psi I think).

After $30 in parts and some pressure testing, I think I've fixed the three good kegs that I have (one more needs a whole new set of just about everything), but it hurts to lose weeks' worth of effort to this sort of surprise.

I feel your pain, brother. :(

I've connected my tap line with the handle open (picnic), with the top of the QD not assembled, etc. Both times I got a shower and then had to clean up a mess...

well on the bright side, you won't have to "pour one out for your dead homies" for a long time

I'm sorry for you loss, my condolences

oooh. ouch. Yeah, don't do that. Kinda glad I do the set and forget method myself. Otherwise I would consider gas in the beer out line for FCing so if anything all you lose is head.

Doh!

I seem to recall some obscure rule of this site about banning people who do this sort of thing...

What a bummer!

Sorry for your loss, man.

Back