bucket heater for hwt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dye4me

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has used a small 1000W bucket heater to preheat their hwt? I am using a 50 gallon stianless drum and was thinking it would be a time save to drop one in the night before and just have to raise it a bit to start brewing. Also are the completely submergible?

1000W for 50 gallons in an uninsulated SS vessel? That's not enough energy to overcome heat losses of that tank at higher temps.

Im not looking to walk in the door and drop the water Id just like to get the gap smaller. What wattage would be needed to hit maybe 110-120f?

If you had a super-insulated vessel, 1000W will bring 50 gals to a boil. 100W would, given enough time.

But you sustain real time heat loss with that huge SS vat filled with water. It will radiate heat and quite a bit. the higher the temp, the more it radiates out, and at some point, as fast as the element puts it in. I don't know at what temp that would settle at, but I doubt it being even anywhere near 120F.

Insulating that vessel well would be your first step. Then you should estimate heat loss at a given vessel temperature and (its surronding) ambient temperature. Then you would know how many BTUs (or Watts) to input to overcome that heat loss.

Back