Angle grinder or cut off?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hlumbard

Reaction score
The cutoff wheel will most likely NOT like being pushed on an angle (to cut the circle) and will most likely splinter apart on you. I'd go with the grinding wheel myself.

ive cut many keg tops with that 4.5 inch from HF. The only downside is that the handle only mounts on the side. Many of the easy jigs that people shared on use a top center handle mounting hole. Not wort paying 4 times more for a brand that has that for me.

I just did one the other day with a 4.5" angle grinder and it worked pretty well freehand as long as I only used light pressure and made several passes.

Just spend the extra ten bucks and get a decent angle grinder at sears. I use my angle grinder for so many things besides cutting the tops of kegs off.

Angle grinder all the way but swap out the stone for a 1/16" think cut off disk. Just go slow and they cut metal like butter.

Wade through my post here, (on another forum), and at the end of it you'll see the fixture I made for cutting the top out of a keg.
Works like a dream!
Just go slow and make successive passes, with a thin "zizz wheel" disc, and you end up with a pretty clean cut that needs minimum cleanup.
I made it from a 2" piece of aluminum stock, though you could use a hardwood dowel to fit the bung in the keg.

http://forum.northernbrewer.com/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=114559

And of course, you guys don't disappoint! I absolutely lovethe fact I can post a questioning he morning and KNOW ill have the answer waiting for me when I get a chance to check back in. Thanks all! I'll post pictures when I make it happen.

If I were to do it (which I often do at work) I would draw out a perfectly straight line using a straight edge or tack weld a straight edge on all the way around the keg then use an angle grinder with a Zip disk to cut all the way around. It will most likely kick on you so if you were to use a cut-off wheel it would probably suck. Just my two cents (my job is fabricating and welding brewing systems)

Back