Anyone Else Have A SWMBO Who Loves Really Hoppy IPAs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jglazer

Reaction score
I am required to always have at least 1 really dank/hoppy IPA on tap at all times. That's what keeps the SWMBO happy and me brewing more :)

Thought I had one, then she tried my DIPA and said it was too hoppy. Needless to say, I kicked her @$$ to the curb.

Yeah, same here. Of course, I love hoppy beers as well but I find that I am brewing a LOT of different IPA's and not much else. Some clones, some recipes, some my own creation.

I've got a hop head wife.
Gets pissed if I use any less than 5oz of hops in an ale recipe.
She would also kick me in the nuts if I ever referred to her as "SWMBO".

Haha mine just said "You're damn right that's who I am" as I was brewing a Union Jack clone

Mine only wants to drink IPA's. She is ok with DIPA's but prefers the regualar. If it wasn't for IPA's I'm not even sure she would like craft beer.

Yes. She wants at least 2 taps with hoppy beers at all times. The more hops the better, she's never had a beer that was too hoppy, and trust me, Ive tried.

Now if I could only get her to like sour beer, or wait...maybe its a good thing I dont have to share those with her.

I haven't found or made a hoppy enough beer for her and I've tried!!! She likes hops so much that she wants me to get hops just so she can put so in her pillow to have hoppy dreams... This is such a good problem to have.

I don't have a SWMBO, but my brew drinking partner wants "more hops" in everything I do. He's not so much into bitter IPAs, but loves super hoppy IPAs and APAs and can't get enough. He didn't use to be a hophead, but over the last few years has become one!

I make about 3 out of 4 beers to be very hops forward, and only make something not hoppy when I have enough in the pipeline to make something else. I usually make a couple of hoppy beers, followed by a brown ale, then more hoppy beers, then a cream ale, more IPAs, then a lager, etc. It makes my life much easier when there is an IPA on tap!

Mine loves the hoppy IPAs (but not quite as much as I do). Recently she wanted me to make a coriander/ orange peel wit, which I did (great summer beer), but she also goes for the really hoppy nectar too...yay!

My GF has a surprisingly wide variety of taste in beer for someone who is pretty new to the concept of what a good beer is. Her tastes run the spectrum from going crazy over a doppel maibock I made last year to things like Two Hearted and so on. I've been pretty impressed. The only thing she does that is weird to me is that she does NOT want foam on her beer. If a beer pours with a big head, she will spoon the foam out! I think she must have been a CAMRA member in a past life and drank lightly carbed, English beers lol

Yes she does. She doesn't love the complex IPAs like a black as much as I and probably prefers the less bitter. She loves Loose Cannon

It takes time, you gotta keep increasing the hop load in whatever beer style she does like, maybe a dry hop in a wheat beer or some flame out hops in a stout.

Same here; my girlfriend loves double IPAs the most. If we ever go on a brewery tour and they don't have a DIPA she quickly loses interest.

My wife is definitely a hop head.

If I have the beer fridge full of wheat beers, cream ales and IPA's she will go for the IPA every time!

Back