Welded Keggle Conversion Advice Sought

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

atimmerman88

Reaction score
Hey All -

I'm not finding a whole lot of welded keggle DIY's out there.

I've got my keg ready to cut tomorrow [hopefully] and I've got some questions.

-Is there some sort of coating/liner on the interior of the keg that I am going to damage or have issues with after using a plasma cutter to cut the top and welding on fittings?

-Is there any corrosive issues using a copper dip tube with AL fittings

Thanks in advance!

-AT

No liner / coating on the inside, but if ya' do it with a plasma cutter, there is a CHANCE, that you will wind up with little pits in the interior of the keg, from the spray of the plasma cutter.
Not to mention the "not real round" opening, and a more ragged edge to clean up than if you cut it out with a "zizz" wheel and a fixture to make your cut circular.

Points to ponder.........

I've got an aluminum fixture already made for the plasma so I'm not worried about roundness from it, edge quality might not be the best though

Put water in the bottom of the keg before cutting. This will help with any slag you may get from the plasma.

Why are you using aluminum fittings?

I'll turn out some on the lathe. Just going to make something with a shoulder on the outside for welding and 3/4" NPT for my valve and the internal threads will be what ever matches the fittings for my copper dip tube, most likely 1/2" NPT.

Well I stand corrected. I was pretty positive it was an AL keg.

I guess after further research almost all modern kegs are SS

Looks like I'll be make SS parts instead of AL parts

Back