Step starter up for a 1.070 brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pellphoto

Reaction score
Made a 1L starter (which ended up turning out to be 750ml) yesterday and it's now sitting in the fridge. I'm wondering if I should step it up to 1.5L tonight for tomorrow's brew that will be about 1.070 OG. If so, does the starter from the fridge need to be up to room temp or can I just boil, cool and pitch the new wort right onto the cold yeast?

I'd warm the yeast up to room temp and pitch once the wort cools, yeast don't like to be shocked with big temp swings, they will be more happy if you take them out of the fridge first.

For something of that gravity, I'd definitely step up the starter. Otherwise you're likely to stress your yeast out.

Awesome. Thanks, guys! Just stepped it up and will let it ride on the stir plate until I pitch it tomorrow.

You don't say how you are making your starter or how old the yeast is. Mrmalty.com, using today for the date suggests a 1.96 liter starter for 1.070 with intermittent shaking. Your yeast will be older so you will need a bigger starter than that. Stepping up does allow for a smaller starter. Yeastcalc.com has information on making step starters. Your step up is good but it is better to plug the numbers into one of the calculators and get closer to the optimum cell count.

Thanks, kh54s10. I ended up using both Mrmalty as well as Yeastcalc to get a better idea of what I would need to pitch. I made a 1L starter with a Wyeast 1450 Smack Pack born on 5/18 and had it on a stir plate for 20 hours and then put it in the fridge. After about 10 hours, I decanted and stepped up with about another 1.2L of wort. I left that on the stir plate overnight. The next morning (brew day) I activated the other Smack Pack and let it swell for a few hours. About an hour before pitching, I added it to the starter on the stir plate. I originally wanted to pitch a starter into one carboy and just a Smack Pack into the other to see what the differences would be but got nervous about under pitching. I just evenly split the yeast between the two carboys.

Holy cow did these things take off. After only a few hours from the time I pitched the yeast, there was activity in the airlocks. I got up the next morning and one of the carboys was gracious enough to create a nice little project for me... yes m3n00b, I should have had blow off tubes right off the bat. I did use Fermcap but apparently not enough. I'll be making starters for every batch here on out now... and I'll be sure not to forget the blow off tubes.

Latest posts

Back